Adding cholla wood precautions

Addubo

I’m adding cholla wood into my Plecos tank. Do I need to have testing kits and other stuff on standby since it can effect water parameters?

FoldedCheese

No. The tannins won't affect your water parameters unless you have incredibly low Kh.

Marlene327

No. The tannins won't affect your water parameters unless you have incredibly low Kh.
I'm interested in the answer to this also. I have a Kh of 2 and put a lot of cholla into my shrimp tank. Am I creating a problem? I'm going back right now to measure the Kh and see if it's changed!

And... it's still 2.

StarGirl

Cholla doesnt have much for tannins so it more than likely wont alter your water much if at all.

FoldedCheese

I'm interested in the answer to this also. I have a Kh of 2 and put a lot of cholla into my shrimp tank. Am I creating a problem? I'm going back right now to measure the Kh and see if it's changed!

And... it's still 2.

I don't think you're creating a problem at all. It would be the pH that is affected by the tannic acid not the Kh. As Stargirl mentioned cholla doesn't release much tannins. Unlike mopani wood for example so you're good.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tol
Replies
Views
HenryC
Replies
Views
cdwag29
Replies
Views