Adding Chlorinated Water?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Z123Killer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

So I have a 29 gallon tank that I just started today. I added about 27 gallons, so there is still about 2 gallons left. If I want to add these two gallons, do I have to dechlorinate them if I already dosed declorinator for 29 gallons just to be safe or would I be ok?

2. S

S_Fish85 New Member Member

If you dosed them again it certainly would not hurt. I would. But seeing how you added enough declorinator for 29 gallons you should be fine if you don't dose them.

3. OP
    OP
    Z

Ok, thank you. Another question, if I added a little more dechlorination than the recommended dose would it hurt anything, because I did not have a measuring cup and I just guesstimated the amount to dose?

4. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

It won't hurt anything, but adding too much can lead to bacterial blooms and cloudy water.

5. S

Not sure what brand you are using but I have never ran into a brand where a little more would be lethal.

6. OP
    OP
    Z

I don't think I added that much more than the recommended dose, maybe like a tablespoon more.

I am using stress coat

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  7. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

What are you using that requires a measuring cup for a 29g tank? All products I know a capful would be more than enough.
    As for overdosing, not sure what you are using but something like Prime is 'safe' (though obviously shouldnt be done all the time just for fun) up to 5x dosage.

Edit: Ah stress coat, not sure on the overdose there, but I do know a ton of fish stores squirt that stuff into the bag when they sell you a fish which I am sure is way overdosing it so you are probably just fine :)

8. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

It should be fine to add those extra 2 gallons if you already added the dechlorinator. When talking about overdosing, it is possible with some dechlorinators such as Prime. An extra tablespoon sounds like a lot, which brand do you use?

9. OP
    OP
    Z

I am using stress coat. And added about 2.5 caps. But the stress coat I have is 1 gallon and so the cap is not for measuring.

10. S

I would assume you will be fine and like bizarro252 said typically is measured by cap fulls. At any rate i would hardly expect a little extra to cause you any issues.

11. OP
    OP
    Z

Stress coat

Ok, I added about 2.5 caps, but they are the 1 gallon bottle caps, not the regular cap.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  12. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I'm sure it will be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice