Adding Chlorinated Water?

Z123Killer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I have a 29 gallon tank that I just started today. I added about 27 gallons, so there is still about 2 gallons left. If I want to add these two gallons, do I have to dechlorinate them if I already dosed declorinator for 29 gallons just to be safe or would I be ok?

S_Fish85

Reaction score
If you dosed them again it certainly would not hurt. I would. But seeing how you added enough declorinator for 29 gallons you should be fine if you don't dose them.

OP
Z

Z123Killer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
S_Fish85 said:
If you dosed them again it certainly would not hurt. I would. But seeing how you added enough declorinator for 29 gallons you should be fine if you don't dose them.
Ok, thank you. Another question, if I added a little more dechlorination than the recommended dose would it hurt anything, because I did not have a measuring cup and I just guesstimated the amount to dose?

Lorekeeper

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Z123Killer said:
Ok, thank you. Another question, if I added a little more dechlorination than the recommended dose would it hurt anything, because I did not have a measuring cup and I just guesstimated the amount to dose?
It won't hurt anything, but adding too much can lead to bacterial blooms and cloudy water.

S_Fish85

Reaction score
Not sure what brand you are using but I have never ran into a brand where a little more would be lethal.

OP
Z

Z123Killer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lorekeeper said:
It won't hurt anything, but adding too much can lead to bacterial blooms and cloudy water.
I don't think I added that much more than the recommended dose, maybe like a tablespoon more.

S_Fish85 said:
Not sure what brand you are using but I have never ran into a brand where a little more would be lethal.
I am using stress coat

Bizarro252

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What are you using that requires a measuring cup for a 29 gallon tank? All products I know a capful would be more than enough.
As for overdosing, not sure what you are using but something like Prime is 'safe' (though obviously shouldnt be done all the time just for fun) up to 5x dosage.

Edit: Ah stress coat, not sure on the overdose there, but I do know a ton of fish stores squirt that stuff into the bag when they sell you a fish which I am sure is way overdosing it so you are probably just fine

MaddieTaylah

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It should be fine to add those extra 2 gallons if you already added the dechlorinator. When talking about overdosing, it is possible with some dechlorinators such as Prime. An extra tablespoon sounds like a lot, which brand do you use?

OP
Z

Z123Killer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bizarro252 said:
What are you using that requires a measuring cup for a 29 gallon tank? All products I know a capful would be more than enough.
As for overdosing, not sure what you are using but something like Prime is 'safe' (though obviously shouldnt be done all the time just for fun) up to 5x dosage.

Edit: Ah stress coat, not sure on the overdose there, but I do know a ton of fish stores squirt that stuff into the bag when they sell you a fish which I am sure is way overdosing it so you are probably just fine
I am using stress coat. And added about 2.5 caps. But the stress coat I have is 1 gallon and so the cap is not for measuring.

S_Fish85

Reaction score
I would assume you will be fine and like bizarro252 said typically is measured by cap fulls. At any rate I would hardly expect a little extra to cause you any issues.

OP
Z

Z123Killer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
MaddieTaylah said:
It should be fine to add those extra 2 gallons if you already added the dechlorinator. When talking about overdosing, it is possible with some dechlorinators such as Prime. An extra tablespoon sounds like a lot, which brand do you use?
Stress coat

S_Fish85 said:
I would assume you will be fine and like bizarro252 said typically is measured by cap fulls. At any rate I would hardly expect a little extra to cause you any issues.
Ok, I added about 2.5 caps, but they are the 1 gallon bottle caps, not the regular cap.

New Threads