Adding Chemicals

Chandell
I am going to be adding seachem equilibrium and API aquarium salt. I am wondering if I can add them at the same time while doing water change or should I add them 24 hours apart?

david1978
Any reason for salt?

Chandell
My bettas tail doesn’t look so good, it is splitting so the lady at the pet store said salt will heal it.

david1978
Bettas are sensitive to salt so its not a good idea. If its just torn the best thing is just keep the water good and clean and it will heal on its own.

Chandell
Oh, the lady told me it would heal him. I think it’s fin rot. Okay I guess maybe I’ll do a little more research thanks so much

david1978
Your welcome. For fin rot I use hydrogen peroxide 1ml of 3% per tank gallon every other day for a total of 3 treatments. 50% water change before, dose tank and it breaks down into water and oxygen.

Chandell
Thanks. The sound of peroxide in my tank water kinda scares me!

I would probably kill my fish!

david1978
Then just go with an extra water change in between what you normally do.

Chandell
Okay I will do that then. So you feel that aquarium salt is bad for betta?

david1978
Salt in general has so little uses in a freshwater aquarium. The concentration that's fish safe is virtually usless. For a few things it can be used as a dip, that's what we did 20 years ago. Lol. With labyrinth fish and scaleless fish you have to be extra careful with not only salt but meds in general.

Chandell
Ya I was a little leery about using the salt. The lady said she used it for her betta with fin rot. But because I was nervous about using the salt I thought I would ask in here. Thanks so much! Going to return the salt.

4435EEE6-47BE-4634-8857-81125A5E5B58.jpeg
471AC3B8-6E05-403F-9AC4-59B643D74DA1.jpeg
CE56069C-7FD9-491D-A558-DF85F912D0CD.jpeg
Salt in general has so little uses in a freshwater aquarium. The concentration that's fish safe is virtually usless. For a few things it can be used as a dip, that's what we did 20 years ago. Lol. With labyrinth fish and scaleless fish you have to be extra careful with not only salt but meds in general.[/
Since I don’t know much about bettas can you tell me what you think of his fins? I normally do 50% water change every week, so do you think if I do 2 water changes a week it will get better?
1C97E04D-19C8-44C6-9572-AF5F546F90BD.jpeg

I just also read that salt is very toxic for my cories!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Chandell
Replies
Views
mossman
Replies
Views
Aquaphobia
Replies
Views