Adding Chemicals

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by Chandell, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Chandell

ChandellValued MemberMember

I am going to be adding seachem equilibrium and API aquarium salt. I am wondering if I can add them at the same time while doing water change or should I add them 24 hours apart?

2. david1978

david1978Fishlore VIPMember

Any reason for salt?

3. OP
    OP
    Chandell

My bettas tail doesn’t look so good, it is splitting so the lady at the pet store said salt will heal it.

4. david1978

Bettas are sensitive to salt so its not a good idea. If its just torn the best thing is just keep the water good and clean and it will heal on its own.

5. OP
    OP
    Chandell

Oh, the lady told me it would heal him. I think it’s fin rot. Okay I guess maybe I’ll do a little more research thanks so much

6. david1978

Your welcome. For fin rot i use hydrogen peroxide 1ml of 3% per tank gallon every other day for a total of 3 treatments. 50% water change before, dose tank and it breaks down into water and oxygen.

7. OP
    OP
    Chandell

Thanks. The sound of peroxide in my tank water kinda scares me!

I would probably kill my fish!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  8. david1978

Then just go with an extra water change in between what you normally do.

9. OP
    OP
    Chandell

10. david1978

Salt in general has so little uses in a freshwater aquarium. The concentration thats fish safe is virtually usless. For a few things it can be used as a dip, thats what we did 20 years ago. Lol. With labyrinth fish and scaleless fish you have to be extra careful with not only salt but meds in general.

11. OP
    OP
    Chandell

Ya I was a little leery about using the salt. The lady said she used it for her betta with fin rot. But because I was nervous about using the salt I thought I would ask in here. Thanks so much! Going to return the salt.

4435EEE6-47BE-4634-8857-81125A5E5B58.jpeg471AC3B8-6E05-403F-9AC4-59B643D74DA1.jpegCE56069C-7FD9-491D-A558-DF85F912D0CD.jpeg
    I just also read that salt is very toxic for my cories!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice