Adding aquasoil to an established CRS tank

Jeroen712

Hallo Fishlore,

So for a while now i wanted to grab an extra bag of amazonia so i could take out my foreground in my aquascape and replace it with aquasoil. My monte carlo wasn't doing the best so i wanted to try it out in some amazonia.
Yesterday i went on this dutch marketplace website and saw a full 9L bag and half a 3L bag of amazonia ver.2 on there along with alot of ferts and some closed bottles of flourish excel and easycarbo. i offered 25 euros for it and surprisingly he accepted. So yesterday i replaced the foreground of the aquascape with soil, not too worried about that tank because it has a big filter and alot of bacteria in the substrate as it's an old tank.

Now i have alot of leftover aquasoil and i want to put some of it in my Crystal red tank. When i set up my crs tank i didn't have too much aquasoil in it since i just put in there what i had leftover. I'm planning on atleast doubling the amount of soil that's in there already.

Will this cause any harm on the CRS? Will it leach just as much of ammonia now that it's been cycled for 4 months?

ruud

Hallo Jeroen,

Should not be any problem. Conduct a few water changes to be on the safe side.
Complementary, you could spread adding the soil over several days or weeks.

Myself, I never bother. When setting up a new scape. I have no problem adding fresh aquasoil, along with plants, filter and shrimp from established tanks.

Jeroen712

Hallo Jeroen,

Should not be any problem. Conduct a few water changes to be on the safe side.
Complementary, you could spread adding the soil over several days or weeks.

Myself, I never bother. When setting up a new scape. I have no problem adding fresh aquasoil, along with plants, filter and shrimp from established tanks.
Hoi Ruud,

Thanks for the advice, i've just added a little bit into the tank and it should be fine yeah. I'll be monitoring the tank for any ammonia just incase as it made a cloudy mess lol.

And yeah the tank has a few plants and some floating plants which are taking off.

Flyfisha

If you soak the Amazonia in a bucket of old tank water for a few weeks and change out some bucket water with every water change in your tank you will have no ammonia in 4 or 5 weeks. No testing and no dead fish.

86 ssinit

If you soak the Amazonia in a bucket of old tank water for a few weeks and change out some bucket water with every water change in your tank you will have no ammonia in 4 or 5 weeks. No testing and no dead fish.
This is sound advice. All aquasoils will release ammonia into the tank. Crystal shrimp could very easily be wiped out by a extended ammonia spike.

ruud

Its Amazonia version 2. Nitrogen contents are mostly packed in the sticks you'll find inside the bag.

If you come across dead shrimp after introducing the soil, you can scoop the equivalent number out from my tanks ;).

Jeroen712

Its Amazonia version 2. Nitrogen contents are mostly packed in the sticks you'll find inside the bag.

If you come across dead shrimp after introducing the soil, you can scoop the equivalent number out from my tanks ;).
yeah, i only put a little bit of soil in tho. And i've only used 1 broken up stick in total.

That's also an amazing idea Flyfisha i'll try that out next time.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nickguy5467
Replies
Views
Jmccartney
Replies
Views
sairving
Replies
Views