adding aquarium salt ??

OP
C

Craig

Well Known
I got a black lyretail molly and a salifin (bright yellow) molly will they both b ok without adding salt ? I hav the bristlenose and red tail

C W

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Your Red Tail will probably die if put in salt.  I don't think they tolerate even a little bit.  I think there was a member who lost one within minutes of putting theirs in a salt solution.  It may have been a Bala, but they would probably be the same.

Rose
"I used a salt bath on my bala and she was dead within the hour!  I am not too sure if I would ever do that again!" quote came from from Jan

OP
C

Craig

Well Known
BOYS A DEAR!!!!! no salt then !!!!!!!! lol

C W

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
I might add while it probably wouldn't kill him the Bristlenose wouldn't be thrilled about it either...
Because the Mollies have been bred for so long in captivity without salt, they should be perfectly fine without it.

Jason

Well Known
I agree and I also think that they won't die they just won't like the conditions as much.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
If their captive bred they've probably never had salt in their water. Sooo I guess what i'm trying to say is ... How will they know what their missing if they've never had it?
Carol

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
As I understand it anything without scales does not respond very well to salt as it leaches the body fluids out of their bodies and causes an electrolyte imbalance in them that can kill them.

Rose

New Threads