adding aquarium salt ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craig, Apr 29, 2006.

1. CraigWell Known MemberMember

will adding some aquarium salt 4 the new mollies i hope 2 get 2day effect my other fish in any other way ??? or will it help them in anyway ??

C W

2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

It depends on what other fish you have in the tank. Catfish and other scaleless fish do not tolerate salt well.

3. CraigWell Known MemberMember

i got a black lyretail molly and a salifin (bright yellow) molly will they both b ok without adding salt ? i hav the bristlenose and red tail

C W

4. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Your Red Tail will probably die if put in salt.  I don't think they tolerate even a little bit.  I think there was a member who lost one within minutes of putting theirs in a salt solution.  It may have been a Bala, but they would probably be the same.

Rose
    "I used a salt bath on my bala and she was dead within the hour!  I am not too sure if I would ever do that again!" quote came from https://www.fishlore.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1111.0 from Jan

5. CraigWell Known MemberMember

BOYS A DEAR!!!!! no salt then !!!!!!!! lol

C W

6. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

i might add while it probably wouldn't kill him the Bristlenose wouldn't be thrilled about it either...
    Because the Mollies have been bred for so long in captivity without salt, they should be perfectly fine without it.

7. JasonWell Known MemberMember

I agree and I also think that they wont die they just wont like the conditions as much.

8. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

If their captive bred they've probably never had salt in their water. Sooo i guess what i'm trying to say is ... How will they know what their missing if they've never had it? :)
    Carol

9. Caitlin RoseNew MemberMember

I too have a salt question... I have used a very small amount (1/4 tbs to 10 gallons) and was wondering if my African Dwarf Frog would be ok with more...?

10. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

As I understand it anything without scales does not respond very well to salt as it leaches the body fluids out of their bodies and causes an electrolyte imbalance in them that can kill them.

Rose
    :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice