Adding Aquarium Salt? Yes Or No?

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by GoldieB, Jul 18, 2019.

1. GoldieB

GoldieBNew MemberMember

Hello, it's me again. :) I have two aquariums; a 20 gallon long and a 55 gallon long. I have had the 20 gallon for over a year; and it was doing well, was cycled, etc. We moved about 15 miles away. I did what I could to maintain the cycle; I put the media in the aquarium water in a new bucket, and got the aquarium up and running within an hour of getting to the new place. The cycle crashed, however, so I had to start it up again, but this time with 7 fish, including a growing Pleco. I also set up a 55 gallon aquarium, and have two Oranda Goldfish in there with 2 Apple mystery snails. Both aquariums have been set up about 5 weeks, and all the fish are doing well. I test every two days, and do 25%-30% water changes at the same time, as well as add Prime. The 20 gallon is taking it's time to cycle, showing ammonia and nitrite at 0; and Nitrate at around 5.0. Ph is 7.4. The 55 gallon is now showing ammonia at 0, Nitrite at 0.25, Nitrate at 2.5 and Ph at 7.1. I will continue with the Prime, water changes and testing every two days until they fully cycle. My question (finally, they say!), is I have read that adding Aquarium Salt is beneficial to some fish; although I just saw a post warning about adding the salt to an aquarium with fish that have no scales like the Pleco, so I won't add it to my community tank. My question is, would it benefit my Oranda's? If so, would it also be ok to add it with the Apple Mystery snails in there? Recommended dosage? Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!

2. Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

Aquarium salt is good to deal with parasites and if used in conjunction with medications it helps recovery but I would not recommend it's use with healthy fish. I would never add it to my main tanks, I do add to my hospital tank because the fish are going to be stressed anyway with the move of tanks and it makes the medications more effective. If you do add it to your main tank do it gradually. Fish don't like any sudden change of water quality and that includes salt.

3. OP
    OP
    GoldieB

GoldieBNew MemberMember

Thank you! I really appreciate the answer. :)

4. oldsalt777

oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Hello Goldie...

A couple things I can tell you from quite a few years in the water keeping hobby is that water changes need to be at least half the tank's volume every week if you want the best health for anything that lives in the water. If you remove less than half, you leave most of the pollutants in the water and the fish or whatever will add to that before you change the water again. If you're a good and faithful water changer, you'll have no tank problems.

As for salt, it's been used since forever as a general benefit to the fishes' immune system, with or without scales. Potential infections, viruses, pathogens or whatever have great difficulty reproducing in water with a trace of salt in it. Add to the salt, pure water conditions through large, weekly water changes and the parasites have no chance. If, you change a lot of water and change it often, you could get by without salt. But, it's good stuff. If you use a little, a teaspoon or two (I wouldn't use more than that, unless you're treating an infection) in every 5 gallons of treated tap water for your water change, the fish you get at the local pet store will be fine with it. The same is true for aquarium plants. There are a great number of benefits. If you're interested, I can explain them.

Have fun!

Old