Adding Aquarium Salt To Raise Salinity To 3ppm

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by fishnewbie33, Apr 20, 2017.

1. fishnewbie33Well Known MemberMember

How much aquarium salt would I need to raise the salinity of a 5 gallon freshwater tank [planted/filtered/single fish/72-73 deg/A=0, Ni=0, pH=6.3-6.4, Na=10-15] tank from 0ppm to 3ppm?

I will do this over time, but wanted to know total amount needed.

Thanks!!!

2. GlamCrab

GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

Why do you want to increase salinity? Are you treating something?

3. OP
    OP
    f

fishnewbie33Well Known MemberMember

Yes. I had asked the other day about a fish with an unknown problem. Might be constipation/bloat, parasites or tumor. Since I can't treat the tumor and the fish is acting/eating normally I'm trying other things. One thing that was suggested was to raise the salinity to 3ppm. Not sure how much to add to a 5 gallon tank with the parameters listed above.

4. GlamCrab

GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

Ah. Okai..
    I dont know how to raise it to 3ppm. What i use as measurement are tea spoons <.<

Maybe 1 tea spoon per gallon would work.. Gradually of course

5. Danjamesdixon

DanjamesdixonWell Known MemberMember

To truly gauge the Salinity of your Aquarium, you will need a Refractometer. Anything else will be basic guess work.

I'm not sure what you're intending to achieve though. If the fish in question appears to be behaving normally, why mess around?

6. OP
    OP
    f

fishnewbie33Well Known MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice