Adding Another Shrimp Question

1. spike98

spike98 Valued Member Member

I have a planned stock of a GBR, 12 X-ray Tetra, 8 Albino Cory cats, and 10 Amano shrimp. I have the tetra and shrimp the Cory's are coming Thursday. I was wondering if I could add maybe 6 cherry shrimp into the mix instead of increasing the Amano. I know there's a chance the GBR will get to them but I have plenty of places for the shrimp to hide and be protected.

2. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Yep, some may become snacks but if you wait a couple of months before adding other fish, they will form a self sustaining colony and be fine.

3. OP
    OP
    spike98

Thanks, the ram is the last fish being add so theyll have sometime to get ready for the main worry.

4. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Even the xrays can be a bit nippy and will definently hunt shrimplets!

5. OP
    OP
    spike98

Didn't know that. I believe they should have nice cover from them though.

6. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

I have not kept GBR before but after seeing them at the LFS, I would think they will eat your adult Cherries.
    Also, just a question, but is your tank new? Cherry Shrimp need a seasoned or mature tank to survive. They are touted as the easiest to keep but also the most difficult. If you buy 6 chances are 4 will die before the have Zoe’s. Also Amano’s need biofilm to graze on as well, though not as sensitive to prestige water conditions as RCS they really should not go in a brand new tank IMO.
    Now if your tank has been up and ruining and is fully cycled disregard the stuff about sensitive RCS and just consider the GBR and them eating the shrimp.

Good luck

7. Nashpack

Nashpack Valued Member Member

I consider my tank to be in the newer side. As when we moved my husband redid everything, serious no, no. (The tank has become my new hobby :) )
    We have amano shrimp, ghost shrimp and red cherries. Everyone is doing great. But also we're don't have any fish that hunt the shrimp. If you have a established colony and the shrimp have hiding spots it might be fine with the beautiful GBR you picked.