Adding Another Platy?

1. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

20 high tank.

A local Petco has been getting in some really nice white and black platys. I was wondering if I had room in my stocking to add one. Right now I have:

1 female betta
    1 platy
    3 guppies
    1 mosquitofish
    6 cherry barbs

I can move the mosquitofish back to my pond. Fry are no issue.

Or is there some other type of fish I can add if not another platy?

Thanks!

2. FIghtingj

FIghtingj Valued Member Member

I think you can. It'll make the single platy happy. Your betta is getting along with the others? They're aggresive and might attack new fish.

3. OP
    OP
    B

She's super docile. Not saying it'll never change, but I have a backup in case it does. She just chills at the top and does her own thing. I have more issues with the mosquitofish than her. Just moved him back to the pond.

I figured that too. I used to have two platys, but the other one I'd had for years and it died a few months back. I'll have to go check and see if Petco still has the pretty bumblebee and ink platys like they did last time. :) image.jpg

4. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I'd definitely add the platy. They're pretty content on their own, but they love having friends. Your Petco should have them in, mine does.

5. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I think you can. Bioload isnt really a problem unless you really overstock. Since your tank also has some plants I would worry less about it.

6. OP
    OP
    B

This one just has fake plants, sadly. I need to buy some real plants for this tank.

I'll see what Petco has next time we go. :)

7. Ankers

Ankers Well Known Member Member

Platys might attack a betta if you don't put the platys in first. I'd take the betta out for a few days so that the new Platy can get comfortable

8. OP
    OP
    B

If they would attack a betta, wouldn't they attack the similarly colorful cherry barbs and guppies too?

I'll be monitoring behavior in the pet store tank to make sure I don't get an aggressive one.

9. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

A platy won't attack a betta. That honestly sounds ridiculous to me. It might chase it a bit, but it's not going to do damage.

10. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't add anything else, if the betta is working now then I wouldn't mess with anything. I doubt it will work for much longer. If you got the betta its own tank then you could add more imo.