Adding angelfish to a 40gal breeder.

1. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Okay so like the topic says I am adding angelfish to a 40gal breeder. The tank is cycled, there's only guppy fry in their(going to take out once I get the baby Angels). The pH is 6.8 and temp is 78. How many baby Angels could I add and if I could add anything else with them. I am only looking for a pair even thou I may get four and take two back once they get older and pair off. Could I add any other fish with them?
    Edit: also it's a heavily planted tank.

2. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

I'd say two(if it's a pair) and a school of 6 smaller fish, maybe do two male and four female cherry barbs.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If you want a pair, add 5-6 juvenile angels and rehome the other when a pair forms.

You can add a schooling fish and bottom feeders, just make sure they're temp compatible.

4. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

If your goal is to have a pair then I agree with Texas Domer. Alison:;hi1

5. Platylover

Oh sorry, I meant to keep only two... Yeah I agree with these guys.:)

6. CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA Well Known Member Member

You're getting good advice! but I would say rummynose or cardinal tetra would be a better choice than cherry barbs, (they can be fin nippers) good luck with your angelfish!

7. Platylover

Actually, cherries are very docile. I've had them with some long fin fish and have never had a problem.:) But you do have a lot of choices.;)

8. CROWNTAILBETTA

Oh thanks for the info I had heard they were aggressive sorry about that, oh well I guess I'm kind of a newbie lol.

9. Platylover

Oh no biggy, a lot of people don't know because barbs are usually nippy.

10. CROWNTAILBETTA

Yeah I just got my facts wrong, thanks for understanding!

11. Fettuccini

Fettuccini Well Known Member Member

One thing no one mentioned, a 40 breeder won't be especially good housing for angels once they grow up, as it won't be tall enough. They'll ideally need to moved into something where they should have at least 18" of vertical space at some point (probably a 22" or 24" high tank, accounting for substrate.)

Also, I strongly second the suggestion of cherry barbs. They're one of the most peaceful fish you can get, and mine get along amazingly with my angelfish.

12. CROWNTAILBETTA

plus cherries are beautiful!

13. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

With my Angelfish I do cherry barbs and harlequin rasboras, they are very peaceful fish and get along fine, no fin nipping. Glow light tetras, rummy nose tetras, black neons, lambchop rasboras all do well with angel fish. There are lots of other options as well depending on the size fish you want. Just keep away from fin nippers and smaller fish that will be lunch at some point. Alison:;hi1