Adding An Angel Fish To 40g

Status
Not open for further replies.

SecretiveFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a heavily planted 40g aquarium with 9 tetra glofish, 1 glowlight tetra, 3 otto catfish, a couple amano shrimp, and a few nerite snails.

After visiting a friend and seeing their angelfish, I of course want one! Am I already at or past max capacity so shouldn't add an angelfish? If not, am I risking the glofish attacking the angelfish? Thanks!

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's actually pretty lightly stocked in my opinion. The glolight tetra needs a school though. So I would get him like 6-8 more buddies.

Bioload-wise and spacewise, I do think you can add an angel. Especially with it being heavily planted. (I assume its a 3 foot tank? if not, my answer may change)

Angels need warmer water around 80 degrees. I don't know what the temps your current fish prefer. so you might want to look into that. Or someone else here will chime in on that.

But I do think a heavily planted 3 foot tank could have 2 schools and an angel.

OP
SecretiveFish

SecretiveFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you both for your replies! I think you also uncovered why I have 'randomly' lost a couple fish recently. They got too warm with the summer heat.

Based on your answers, I think the best course of action is to get more glow light tetras and call it good. That poor glofish has been alone for quite awhile... I bought him as part of a school and all the others passed fairly shortly after I got him. Every time I tried to add more, they died a day or two after which makes me think the poor things were not healthy to start with so I gave up.

At one point, the plants were so overgrown I had to do a huge pruning. I then found out I still had 3 otto catfish, and they started schooling immediately after that. Apparently, they also didn't know they had buddies in there!

OP
SecretiveFish

SecretiveFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the suggestions! I ended up adding 5 glowlight tetras and cooling off the tank so it is 75-77 degrees F. I may end up adding a few more of the glowlight tetras and am looking into a gourami, but I want to make sure the new additions are settled in well before I consider that

I feel pretty dumb, but I had no idea tetra glofish and glowlight tetras are cooler water fish...

OP
SecretiveFish

SecretiveFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glowlight tetras aren't. They need 75-82f. But skirt tetras are, they need 68-75f.
Perhaps I got the name wrong, but after finding out I was wrong about the glofish, I checked the care requirements for the glowlight tetras. Per liveaquaria, glowlight tetras need 72-77 degrees F.

Tetra glofish need to be in the 72-82 range again per liveaquaria unless they are wrong.

So, 75-77 seems to be the ideal range I can keep all of them together.

OP
SecretiveFish

SecretiveFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I still have 6 glowlight tetras (I was pretty sure one died but managed to see all of them this weekend!) and haven't lost any glowfish since this thread!

Thanks for getting me thinking about temperatures! I had no idea that was what was slowly killing them over time. I even see my amano shrimp more now that the tank stays in the 75-77 degree range.

-ELLIEJ96-

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a heavily planted 40g aquarium with 9 tetra glofish, 1 glowlight tetra, 3 otto catfish, a couple amano shrimp, and a few nerite snails.

After visiting a friend and seeing their angelfish, I of course want one! Am I already at or past max capacity so shouldn't add an angelfish? If not, am I risking the glofish attacking the angelfish? Thanks!
I had a lightly stocked aquarium and my angle fish hated every single one of my fish, so I had to give her away. It was such a shame, they are beautiful fish. Angle fish eat ANYTHING they can fit in their mouths! Not my favourite choice of fish they are agressive !

OP
SecretiveFish

SecretiveFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a lightly stocked aquarium and my angle fish hated every single one of my fish, so I had to give her away. It was such a shame, they are beautiful fish. Angle fish eat ANYTHING they can fit in their mouths! Not my favourite choice of fish they are agressive !
Thanks! Based on the temperature requirements for my other fish, I can't have an angel fish in this tank, but also based on how aggressive they can be, I think I will pass in the future even if I have an appropriate tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 76 65.5%

Top Bottom