Adding An Adult Bristlenose To A Cichlid Tank Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Brian Knowles, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Brian KnowlesValued MemberMember

I want to add a bristlenose to my 125. I have only once added any fish to the tank since the cichlids were put in. I have tetras (blood fins, red eyes and beunos),danios, but they were there before the cichlids and they are never bothered, by the cichlids I added a few fish since that, did not turn out so well. I guess I just mis-judged because they have NEVER bothered any of the smaller inhabitants. I was thinking of adding a nearly grown bristlenose, but am afraid the cuchlids will single him out. I don't want to cause the death of another fish. My cichlids are mostly Imbuna ranging from 2-4" Anyone ever done this or have any experiences to share. Thanks

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

I don't recommend putting any plecos with mbunas, especially because I finally decided to try it a few months ago and they took its eyes out before killing it. So I have a very strong opinion on keeping them away from each other

3. Brian KnowlesValued MemberMember

Thanks. I hats what I was looking for. Someone with a real experience b

4. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Sure thing, if it makes any difference, the pleco I added to mine was actually a gold spot pleco. Those have quite the temper even when they're small so it definitely didn't go down easily. I feel like a bristlenose would just be a sitting duck.
    @Demeter you have lot's of experience with South Africans, so what do you think?

5. McFlyValued MemberMember

Any time I tried adding fish to an established cichlid tank, I would
    'rearrange the furniture' before introducing them. Totally change
    the rocks/ornaments. This worked a few times for me without
    incident, fish were never too much smaller than the tank inhabitants.
    It did backfire once, or at least the cichlids didn't go for it.

I've also made lots of caves for cichlid tanks. They always seemed to
    think my caves were too small. If they're diggin' they ain't fightin'!

6. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

I once kept my male albino BN with my Africans (mbuna, peacocks and a couple haps). He stood his ground ok but my evil dominant male mbuna would always bite his fins. I ended up putting the pleco in a 29gal with shell dwellers and peacock fry, he’s doing well.

I once visited my teacher’s house and his African tank was full of adult male and female BN along with hidden fry. I believe his cichlids were mostly of the zebra mbuna group but it was a long time ago and I only saw it the one time.

IMO, I’d say no with mbuna but it should be fine with non-mbuna species. Provided there are plenty of hiding places and a piece of wood for the pleco to claim it will be fine.

7. Brian KnowlesValued MemberMember

Thanks for all the comments!!!! It helps knowing from experience. Guess I'll opt out on the BN