Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Adding Ammonia To Tank With Fish In It? Question

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by ahouseofscales, May 23, 2019.

1. ahouseofscales Valued Member Member

Hi, I'm doing a project in chemistry focusing on the chemistry of aquariums. I am wondering if it would be okay to add a small amount of pure ammonia to my fully cycled, stable aquarium to measure the fluctuations of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate over time. I have thought about putting some of my media in a separate tank to test this but for the purposes of the project I need the complete ecosystem, fish, plants, and all. I would only be adding a very small amount and the ammonia would likely be cycled out quickly. Please let me know what you think.

2. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

If you have prime to detoxify it, and you dose less than one ppm I think it would be ok

3. Redshark1 Fishlore VIP Member

Normally no it would not be a good idea, but since it is for a purpose i.e. your experiment project then this is your reason for doing it.

Also, you are being careful about it, it is a mild dose, is short term and you know what to do if there is any observable distress.

4. happyscrub Valued Member Member

Depends how much. Your fish "add" ammonia to the tank all the time.