Adding Algae Eaters To New Tank?

1. Betta_397

Betta_397 New Member Member

Hello! I am excited to be here!
    I have a two week cycled 5 gallon tank. I first put 4 dandelion cichlids and well... That didn't go well at all. I took them back (yes they survived). Anyway, I decided to get a Betta. I am going to be checking the water parameters soon to assure safety. Anyway, when would be a best idea to get algae eaters or pleco's (proper breeds for a 5 gal)? I know not to overload a 5 gallon tank as pracically any fish belongs in a 5 gallon tank. As far as the algae eaters, what would you suggest with a Betta?

Thank you!

2. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

Nerite snails are the best algae eater to get with a betta in a small tank, you could try some Amano Shrimp but the betta might try to eat them. all plecos need 20g or larger

3. OP
    OP
    Betta_397

Ok, thank you! So no catfish or pleco's? Just making sure.

4. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

No catfish or pleco im aware of.

5. OP
    OP
    Betta_397

OK :/ Well I could try with shrimp but I have a feeling a male Betta would eat them

6. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Then go with a nerite, bettas have different personalities so they are not predictable with their behavior for them being around other fish/animals.

7. OP
    OP
    Betta_397

For sure I thought about other fish but again, a 5g is too small. The nerites should serve well I suppose.

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You are the best at preventing and controlling algae - no algae eaters necessary :)