Adding a second (or third) gourami to 35 gallon tall. Ideas?

Sankalpakc

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello friends,

I have an established tank that I've been doing a bit of restocking on, and I wanted the communities advice on if/what second dwarf gourami I might add to my tank. I'm not interested in starting breeding, just to have the community get along. I have general parameters and the current stocking below. I got my original dwarf blue gourami as a showfish, and my first preference would be to get a second dwarf of a different color. That being said, I recognize there can be advantages of having two (or three) of the same fish in the community.

My little community tank:
35 Tall (12x30x22.5)

10 Lambchop Rasbora
6 Albino Cories
1 Blue Dwarf Gourami
3 Ghost Shrimp
1 Everliving feeder guppy that survived my tank cycling process

Temp: 76 Degrees
Ph: 7.3 (ish)

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would not recommend another gourami if a dwarf gourami is what you have. These beautiful little buggers are highly territorial and they do not take kindly to another male being in 'their' space. Which all of this tank is as far as they care. And sadly, they pretty much never sell female dwarf gourami in stores so you can't even try a m/f pair to see if that would work. Female dwarf gourami are a very bland grey anyhow, nothing like their much brighter male counterparts.

If you were willing to switch out the dwarf gourami (take him back to you LFS) you could do a group of honey gourami as a centerpiece group. Five to seven of them would do well in this size tank. Honey gourami, unlike dwarf gourami, are social with their own species.

Alternatively, if you did not wish to get rid of your dwarf gourami but wanted another showpiece fish, I would reccomend a m/f pair of Bolivian rams. They will stay towards the bottom of your tank and are quite fun to watch, and will not hurt your corydoras.

Jallen42

Reaction score
Sankalpakc said:
Hello friends,

I have an established tank that I've been doing a bit of restocking on, and I wanted the communities advice on if/what second dwarf gourami I might add to my tank. I'm not interested in starting breeding, just to have the community get along. I have general parameters and the current stocking below. I got my original dwarf blue gourami as a showfish, and my first preference would be to get a second dwarf of a different color. That being said, I recognize there can be advantages of having two (or three) of the same fish in the community.

My little community tank:
35 Tall (12x30x22.5)

10 Lambchop Rasbora
6 Albino Cories
1 Blue Dwarf Gourami
3 Ghost Shrimp
1 Everliving feeder guppy that survived my tank cycling process

Temp: 76 Degrees
Ph: 7.3 (ish)
Not to say it can’t be done but with Gouramis it can be risky to add another with some species it may cause fighting:( However, if you wanted Gouramis and wanted to keep multiple there are other species you could possibly keep (if rehoming the blue dwarf is possible)

HitzBlack

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My splurge purchase. Heard too many stories about them not living very long but bought them anyway because they look amazing. Just lost both of them within 2 weeks of each other. Had them for 9 months. Also have 2 pearl & 2 Opaline gouramis, no issues with aggression

Attachments

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
2 dwarfs means war. Doesn't have to be immediately but when their hormons take over there will be casualties.

As always there will be successtories.
But that's more luck than science

Besides the deplorable state of most DG's in the first place.

New Threads