Adding a second filter

chadcf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a Fluval C4 on my 40 gallon tank and just got a good deal on a Fluval 207 I'm going to add to the tank. I've filled the 207 up with the ceramic rings it came with and also a 1L bottle of Seachem Matrix. I'm wondering if I need to do anything to "seed" the new filter or will it pick up the beneficial bacteria from the water? Maybe a dumb question, but I'm wondering if I should put some of the media from the C4 in the canister to help seed it better...

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Just run both filters together, It's always a good to have a seeded, ready-to-go filter just in case :). If you have other plans for the C4, run them together for about a month, then you can take the C4 out.

OP
chadcf

chadcf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh I'm planning to run them together. The 207 is loaded up with matrix, curious if it helps with nitrate at all. My main goal adding it was to improve water circulation and reduce cleaning frequency. Not to mention having a spare in case of any problems.

Although after cleaning out the C4 it is rattling like a monster so it is tempting to get rid of that...

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
chadcf said:
Oh I'm planning to run them together. The 207 is loaded up with matrix, curious if it helps with nitrate at all.
Matrix didn't make any difference in my HOB. Adding sweet potatoes brought the nitrates down to nearly nothing :). YMMV

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't bother swapping any media, just run them together. A 207 could possibly suffice on its own, though I think a 307 would be better for a 40 gal.

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
chadcf said:
Oh I'm planning to run them together. The 207 is loaded up with matrix, curious if it helps with nitrate at all. My main goal adding it was to improve water circulation and reduce cleaning frequency. Not to mention having a spare in case of any problems.

Although after cleaning out the C4 it is rattling like a monster so it is tempting to get rid of that...
It's probably more marketing than anything...but here's the concept. Nitrates can be broken down by bacteria in areas devoid of oxygen to nitrogen, and a little hydrogen sulfide. Matrix claims in has so much internal space, yet tight enough pores that anaerobic bacteria can live inside it and remover nitrates, while aerobic bacteria. Whether it actually does that well is up for debate.

Should it help reduce nitrates...yes...does it...I dunno.

OP
chadcf

chadcf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I doubt it will do much for nitrates, but I figure a lot more biological media and water movement can't hurt, and having a backup filter on the tank. I've got a pathos in there with 2 foot long roots too and I haven't noticed nitrates budge with that either. Doesn't help that my tap water is fairly high in nitrates too.