Adding A Second Filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Dirty, Jan 14, 2019.

1. DirtyNew MemberMember

I have a 55 gallon set up running for about a year now I'm ready for some center piece fish thinking about going with Bolivian rams. I have a tetra whisper 60 hob filter on it now I was thinking about adding a second tetra whisper 60 on the other side of the tank my question is. If I add a new filter will it throw me into another cycle?

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Nope. You already have all the beneficial bacteria you need. As the second filter colonizes some will die off in the old filter since the bacteria will only grow to the amount of food available.

3. DirtyNew MemberMember

Ok thank you I was a little worried I've never added a second filter before.

4. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Here is a link to a thread for DIY filter media.

Has ideas for adding media to supplement the cartridge in your filter and also ways to eliminate the cartridge by using other types of media.

5. DirtyNew MemberMember

Thanks

6. oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Hello Dirty...

The added filtration doesn't affect the nitrogen cycle and won't make a significant difference in the water quality. It will add a bit more oxygen to the water, but won't really affect how clean the tank water is. Gradually increasing the amount of water you remove and replace will do much more good than adding another filter.

Old

7. DirtyNew MemberMember

Yes that I am aware of I'm under filtering as of now but it's ok I dont have too many fish in there I would like to get somewhere closer to the 5x filtration for my tank right now I only do about 400 gph

my tank 20181102_190933.jpg

I checked.my filter only does 330 gph

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2019
  8. DirtyNew MemberMember

Upon doing the math I am over 5x filtration rate my problem is my fish only hang out on the side with the filter I thought if I add a second it would bring them throughout the whole tank

9. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

I'm not usually a fan of ceramic thingamajigs and ornaments...but I really like that one! :)

10. DirtyNew MemberMember

Thanks alot john I got it on sale at petsmart for 30 bucks I was stoked that's if your talking about the center piece one

11. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

Yep, that's the one. :)

12. Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

Even with 2 filters, the size of your beneficial bacteria colony will remain nearly the same if the stocking stays the same.

I say this only to point out, I would add additional stocking slowly.

13. GrayRasValued MemberMember

No, you will be fine running 2 filters. Personally I prefer to run 2 on any tank 40gal or larger. That way I can phase/stage clean each one separately so that I never really lose too much beneficial bacteria. Also there is the added benefit of if/when I start a new tank I can basically take media from one of my established filters for the new tank then still have another filter running on the old tank while the second one reestablishes.. new tank is already pre cycled

14. DirtyNew MemberMember

Ok nice... do you think my fish will go over to the left side if I add another it just seems as tho since there's not much current on that side my fish dont care for the side without a filter if I go to that side they have no problem going there they just normally hang on the right side

15. GrayRasValued MemberMember

Well if you’ll have one filter on each side of the tank that should even it out right? But its hard to predict their behavior honestly. I run both my filters on the left side of my tank but it doesn’t seem to affect fish preferences. They all sorta utilize all of the tank space. I would say maybe do one filter on each side and see how they respond.

16. DirtyNew MemberMember

Right it should but as of now I only have one it's on the right side and all my fish which is around 20 all stay on the right unless there's something on the left that they want ya know I'll have to get the second filter and see what they do thanks for the advice

17. GrayRasValued MemberMember

Well try moving it to the left as a preliminary test to see. I noticed all my fish gathered in my tank on the right around a certain piece of decor - moved it to the left and they initially all went left. But then dispersed back to the right side where they were used to. Now its pretty even for them to be all over the tank. Sometimes you gotta move things around in the tank to play mind games with them lol. They loved the right side of the tank and they loved that decor. Now they’re split between the two..

18. DirtyNew MemberMember

I see that's interesting I'll have to try that and see what happens

19. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

@Dirty , If you are still looking for a filter, you can get 20% off your purchase with code " 4UXTRA20 " over on Dr. Foster and Smith's website.

I have bought from them around 4 times already. Great customer service.

20. DirtyNew MemberMember

Oh cool man thanks discounts are allways nice