Status
Not open for further replies.

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello all,

Would it be okay to add a Bolivian Ram, or two, to my tank? Currently, I have 3 YoYo loaches, 5 Tiger barbs, and a Dwarf Gourami. I was thinking of adding one ram, if they dont require a partner, and one more yoyo. But, if needed, I could nix the one more loach idea, and I could add 2 Bolivian rams. I'd love suggestions.

Thanks for your time.

OP
tototime

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The tiger barbs don't harass any of the tankmates I have, currently. Would it be better to sell the barbs off and get another type of schooling fish? If so, which one would work?

OP
tototime

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay, so after reading several posts, I think I have decided on this stocking list for my 30. Please let me know if this will not work. I don't want to deal with breeding, so even though a pair of kribs would be beautiful, I don't think I want them. Anyways, here is the list:

1 Bolivian Ram, 1 Keyhole or Apisto or Cockatoo (not sure which species, suggest your favorite please), 3 yo-yo loaches, 6 cardinal tetras. How is that stocking?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As along time tiger barb keeper, I think you'd be doing the right thing to get rid of them. Both cherry and gold barbs are readily available, stay smaller and are much safer.

And as Isaid before, I think you'll find 6 tetras to be a little....thin

OP
tototime

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So you think those cichlids would be okay together? I will be giving the tiger barbs to a friend to ensure a good home. I could add my DG, I was going to give him away as well, so would that work out?

OP
tototime

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay. Cool thanks you for the help, Jaysee. I will look into those fish. Does anyone have an opinion on the cichlids? Thanks for all of your help.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Apisto's are wonderful fish...but...if you get pairs (m and f)..there could be trouble at spawning time. The females get very possesive of their territorys and their fry.. You could keep a couple of different males as in Cockatoos and Borellis. Beautiful fish...bottom and near bottom dwellers. Each male will have a territory but no serious fighting ever occured for me...they would flare at each other and occasionally chase...but don't put in a female!!! The flaring is cool and their colors would be great as they show their stuff. There are many other varieties of appistogramma, I believe that cockatoos and Borellis are the easiest and very pretty fish.

OP
tototime

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I like the coloring on the cockatoo. would a cockatoo work with a bolivian, or should I get another apisto? If so, are there any other than the borellis? I like the colorful fish, and the photos of borellis I've seen are rather bland, but I may be incorrect.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm planning on putting a bolivian and a keyhole in with my gold barbs in a 26 gallon later this week, so I'll let you know how that goes(provided they have a keyhole still when I get to the store :-\ )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 59 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.8%

Top Bottom