Adding A Pearl Gourami?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Hunter1, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Hunter1

Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

I have had 2 honey gouramis in my 36 bf for about 8 months with no issues.

Can I add a Pearl to this tank?

My plan is to remove the 2 mollies, 1 platy and 3 huge guppies and distribute them is a couple of other tanks leaving the honeys, 7 pepper corys, 1 BN pleco and a couple of snails.

Tank is heavily planted.

Will the gouramis co-exist peacefully?

2. FishGirl38

FishGirl38Valued MemberMember

I'm not sure about how peacefully, but you could do it...

So, pearl gourami's are going to get slightly bigger than the honey gouramis. And they're both anabantids (labrynth fish) so they both hang out at the top of the water. You will probably see some chasing here and there.

But a 36 gal is plenty of space for just 3 free-swimmers. So, Yes I think you would be okay to house them together while expecting some chasing back and forth. Technically you shouldn't put them together because they're all the same type of species and gourami are usually territorial towards others of their kind. BUT, again, you have plenty of space and neither specie type is able to inflict detrimental damage to one another. (i.e, they don't get big enough to eat one another and their mouths aren't suited for causing extreme dmg)

3. OP
    OP
    Hunter1

On my way to purchase right now.

If it doesn’t work, I have 4 other tanks I can move it to.

4. OP
    OP
    Hunter1

I moved my last 2 female guppies out and added the Pearl.

They were both ready to pop again, and are both over 2.5” long. Trying to reduce the bioload. I also wanted to move a male Dalmatian mollie out but couldn’t catch him, too many plants and filters for him to hide behind. I’ll get him at feeding time in the near future.

If he only knew he was going in with a couple of females, he’d jump into the net.

Couldn’t catch the lone platy either.

I stopped trying cause I was stressing out the whole tank.

5. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I think it may work out fine, as both pearls and honeys are very peaceful. It's just kind of unconventional in this size tank.

6. OP
    OP
    Hunter1

I don’t think it is.

I was gone all weekend. When I got back this evening the fish were hungry. When I fed em, everything seemed normal.

After feeding I noticed both honeys were in the thick part of the hornwort. Strange, one usually hangs under it, but neither get deep into it unless they are trying to get guppy fry.

A little while later they were both hiding.

I have a 20long that is understocked. It’s heavily planted with a lot of Val. I think i’ll Move them in there if the hiding persists.

7. Anders247

Don't think what is?

8. OP
    OP
    Hunter1

My comment was to be, “I don’t think it’s working out.”

But I may have been premature.

Just now I saw the male honey swimming in open water while the pearl was on the same side of the tank.

The female just moved away from the pearl but she has always been timid.

I just think they will be happier if they were in my 20 long with lots of Val, and just a few guppies and 6 corys.

9. Anders247

You've got to give them time, imo. It can take a while for shy fish to become settled. If this persists over weeks time, then I'd move the honeys.

10. OP
    OP
    Hunter1

Deal.

No chasing, just avoidance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice