Adding A Pair Of Pearl Gouramis?

Bhuij

I have a well established 55 gallon that has been running for over a year in my current apartment. Unfortunately I recently lost my betta, who was doing great as a tankmate to the 2 schools of tetras and 1 school of rasboras.

I'm planning on moving my tetras over to a different tank, when I do I'll be left with 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 8 Gold Tetras, and 6 Otocinclus in the tank. I was thinking of adding in two pearl gouramis.

I've done my research and I think I'm in good shape as far as tank mates, plants, temperature, etc. etc. I just have two questions:

1. I'm running a Quietflow HOB filter which creates very little current, and I added powerhead after my betta passed away, which cycles 100% of the water just over 3 times/hour. I understand this to be considered "low" current, I assume this won't be a problem for the gouramis? The tetras love the extra current and I'm hoping it helps keep my algae in check with a little more water movement as well.

2. Should I worry about sexing the pair? Best to get a male/female or two females, for example? I'm not trying to breed them or anything, just figured there might be some issues if I get a male/male pair; I've never kept more than 1 gourami at a time in any given tank.

Thanks in advance!

AngelTheGypsy

Pearls are one of the most peaceful gourami, and while there is always the chance for aggression, I have not heard much about it in pearls, and not really seen advice about not having 2 males. You can always play it safe and make sure at least one of the two are female.
If the flow is too much for them, you can turn the power head down (?) or off.

Bhuij

That simplifies things. I'll double check with the LFS (generally LFS employees' advice is dubious, but my LFS actually has some very knowledgeable folks) before buying, but it would be nice not to have to sex them at the store before taking them home.

Looking at getting to a final stocking situation of:

2 Pearl Gouramis
10 Harlequin Rasboras (+2 to current stock)
10 Gold Tetras (+2 to current stock)
10 Neon Tetras (+4 to current stock)
6 Otos

Given my plants and filtration, I do not think this will be overstocking. I have enough plants that I actually have to dose KNO3 to keep my nitrates above 0 (and Ammonia/Nitrites obviously are always at 0). Aquaadvisor indicates that this would make my tank roughly 83% stocked, although I realize you kinda have to take Aquaadvisor with a grain of salt.

Anyone see any issues with this stocking plan?

BottomDweller

The neons need cooler water than the pearl gouramis.
In my opinion 3 mid dwelling schools is a bit much for a 55. If you removed the neons then that stocking looks great.

Bhuij

It will be a shame to not have any blue in the aquarium, but my wife would kill me if I re-homed the Gold tetras instead of the Neons; they're her favorite.

Looking to rehome the neons before topping off the other schools then. Thanks!

Anders247

You can replace the neons with rummynose tetras, then you would be good.
3 mid-dwelling schools in a 55 is fine, especially when they are small fish like these.

AngelTheGypsy

If you like the neons and want some blue in the tank, you could do cardinal tetra instead. They look almost identical, and are comfortable in higher temps

Bhuij

I've always lumped Neons and Cardinals together in my head as "exactly the same thing, just one costs more and has a bit more red." Didn't realize they had different temperature ranges. Good to know, thanks for the info. I'm still concerned about having 30 mid-dwelling schooling fish in a single 55 gallon tank, so I think I'll probably avoid any more tetras beyond the school of Golds (once I have finished rehoming my Neons). But are there any blue species of cories? I've never kept cories, but think it might be fun to have some bottom-dwellers, even if it's just a small school of 6 or something.

I added the two Pearl Gouramis yesterday and I'm loving them already. They colored up quite a bit just overnight compared to the pet store, and this morning seemed comfortable (they were eating normally, didn't show any signs of nervousness or aggression towards other fish, etc.) The other fish don't seem to be skittish or scared of them in the slightest either, so that's great.

Since the adjustment seems to be proceeding quickly and my biofilter didn't even hiccup at the addition of the two Gouramis, is there a guideline to how long I should wait before filling out my school of otos? Currently have 3, want to add 3 more. I could do it today even unless there's a good reason not to.

AngelTheGypsy

I'd give your tank a week, just to make sure. Especially if adding ottos. With their reputation for being sensitive, I'd hate for you to add them then see a spike and then suffer

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SM1199
  • Question
Replies
Views
tuggerlake26
Replies
Views
Bettatakeover