Adding a new HOB filter mid-cycle?

mountaingiant

I am currently about half way through my aquariums first fish-in cycle and I have a new filter (Tidal 55) arriving today. I'd like to swap it with the current filter but I am unsure if I should do it or not? Additionally I'd like to know what the proper method to swapping them or adding the new filter?

This aquarium was started on Sept. 13. It's only had two water changes at 50%, back to back, just this past Thursday and Friday.

On Saturday and Sunday my water levels read the following:
Ammonia: In between 0 - .25
Nitrites: In between 0 - .25
Nitrates: 5

Today the water levels read the same, if anything they are closer to 0 with Nitrates still at 5.

Obviously my worries are to not sabatoge this aquarium until the cycle is complete and have major setbacks.

MasterPython

Can you easily put the running media into the new filter? If not I would find a way to run both filters until your cycle is going.

ForceTen

Add the new filter along with the current one running. Use tank water to rinse the media.

mountaingiant

My current filter is a Top Fin Silentstream 40. So the only media inside the filter is the removeable carbon filter and a blue plastic/rubber media.

Azedenkae

My current filter is a Top Fin Silentstream 40. So the only media inside the filter is the removeable carbon filter and a blue plastic/rubber media.
Is the carbon filter the one that has to slot into place or nah? Sorry, I am unfamiliar with either filter.

mountaingiant

Yes. It has a plastic frame that has a white material and inside the material is carbon granules. The entire frame slides into a slot.

Azedenkae

Yes. It has a plastic frame that has a white material and inside the material is carbon granules. The entire frame slides into a slot.
Hm. So if you can move them over to the new filter like MasterPython suggest, that would be best. But I am not sure if you can then. How about the other media? Can you move that over?

mountaingiant

Once the other filter gets here, I'll take a look at it and see what I can do. I'm sure I'll make something work.
I went ahead and set the new filter up. I washed the basked with sponge and media using the tanks water. I went ahead an turned the flow up 100% on the Tidal and turned the flow way down on the other Top Fin to kind of keep the water a little calm.

I can't really add the Top Fin media to the new filter without cutting things up. So I'll run them side by side for now.

mountaingiant

Update & Questions:

I installed the new Tidal 55 yesterday and left it running alongside the Top Fin Silentstream 40.

I was gone all day and did a water test when I got back and had some interesting results.

The first thing I'd like to note is that for some reason, my live plants decided to perk up and grow what seems like inches today. I have multiple new bright green heads on my Anacharis, and my Hornwort perked up and grew what seems like a few inches. I did a 60% water change on Friday and added some API Leaf Zone. Not sure if this could cause the plant change.

My current water reads as follows:

pH: 8.2
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

My Ammonia has gone up a little, Nitrites have dropped and Nitrates are still the same. The one major water change was pH. My tap comes out around 7.6. Is this something I need to correct?

What causes a pH spike and hold I need to fix it, how? Is the pH something that balances itself out and will this effect my cycle?

MasterPython

Water fresh from the tap has dissolved CO2 that can lower the PH temporarily until it dissipates. Try testing some water that has been sitting out overnight. 8.2 PH is fine for the vast majority of fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

40 Gallon Tank Is it almost cycled?
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
Azedenkae
Replies
Views
mattgirl