Question Adding a heater to a running tank

majeedbaig

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi, i want to ask one question, i dont know if its a right place to ask.

i have got a glass tank with few tropical fish in it,about 75ltrs, with air pump two plants, one water pump, but did not had a heater, this tank was running from few months now, i use to put some hot water from the kettle now and then to keep it warm, but now that the winter has started here, i bought a 100watt heater yesterday and put it in the tank, this morning one of my fish died sitting close to the heater, dont know why, is it because of sudden change of temperature in the water.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi majeedbaig, welcome to fishlore

If you could spend a little time detailing your setup, what fish you have, filtration, it will greatly help.

Do you have a water test kit, such as the API Master Kit?
Can you get readings for pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?
Do you use a water conditioner to remove chlorine and chloramine?
Do you have a thermometer, if so, what is the temperature at? It should be between 24 and 28 degrees celsius for a tropical tank.

Whilst a heater shouldn't kill fish, continual temperature changes such as heating with hot water, then allowing to cool, will stress your fish, and could eventually lead to death. Secondly, if the heater is set too high (i.e. over 30C), it gets too hot for your fish.

If you could answer the questions above, we can probably provide more guidance.

And if you haven't already, I recommend reading
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
and also the Freshwater beginners guides (located on the main page at www.fishlore.com)

Let us know.

[edit]Mods, can you please move this question to a relevant forum

Last edited:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I've moved your thread to the Freshwater Tank Equipment/Heaters section of the forum. I've also deleted your other duplicate post (that I had moved to create a thread of it's own). When posting duplicate threads/posts it can be very confusing to other members.

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

majeedbaig

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, thanks for ur advice, as u might have already know that i am new commer to this site and as well as new in the fish tank. i ve been reading the forms etc.,
ok, let me give u more info on my tank may be that will help.

i have no idea on my fish names but i think its a tropical fish, i dont have a test kit for my water, never tested it, i do some water change almost every week about 20%

i have a air pump also i have another pump which pumps water/submersible, its got a sponge like filter inside it, no charcoal etc., please help

majeedbaig

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi, it looks similar to Platy, Platies, but in orange/yellow color, the one died was in white color, i have got 5 of these in the tank, and two small red color ones and two real small silver ones with black stripes these ones move very fast.

majeedbaig

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
they way living from past 4 months with only a air pump in the tak, i added the water pump with sponge inside about 3 weeks back and i added the heater yesterday, just before adding the heater i checked them, they were all playfull and good. also i have noticed when i added the heater they all went close to the heater and stayed there, i thaught its just the curisoty.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom