Adding a heater for a cool fish?

1. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

My betta has been with us for over a month now but has had no heater. His water is at 72. Everything I've read says he'll be happier with one. If I put one in, will it adjust too quickly for him? Or will he adjust with it?

I've bought two mini heaters for him but they're both sitting on my desk until I know what's best. As he's in a 3g, I found the Aqueon Mini Heater 10w and the Tetra Submersible 50w. Reviews on the Aqueon say it doesn't shut off at the preset temp. The Tetra had much better reviews. Neither have adjustable temps. Both are supposed to stay around 76-80F.

2. Sayba Well Known Member Member

Just one heater will be fine. I got a heater for my crayfish and cranked it right up for her, she was fine. Just raise the temp slowly for him, put the heater to the temp the tank is at then adjust it up a tad through out the day till you get it to were it needs to be at around 80.

You're not far off anyway, some heaters can be annoying to get right, I set my crayfishes heater to 25 and it heats up to 30...

Don't worry though, you're not going to cook him alive or anything.

3. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

I had no intention of using both, sorry for the confusion. I bought one and didn't like the reviews, so I bought the other. These little ones aren't adjustable. That's my concern.

4. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

If you are worried about the reliability, I'd go with the Tetra. Just be sure to keep an eye on it, as with all heaters. In larger tanks, a faulty model is a concern, but in a smaller 3 gallon, it's an even greater concern.

5. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

Thank you Phishpin. The reviews on the Aqueon mini were really rough. People saying it would get up to 90F. That's what prompted me to research the other and buy it. I'll return the Aqueon, never hurts to have an excuse to return to Petsmart.

6. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Good thinking. You shouldn't have to have to worry about brand new equipment. Unfortunately, within fish keeping, there is a lot of money to be made on cheap supplies that breaks on folks who never knew better.

7. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

The tetra heaters are pretty reliable. I have several in various sized tanks from 2.5 gallons to 6 gallons and have no issues whatsoever.