Adding a few Angels.

1. dmmuir Member Member

Wife has never liked my choices in fish, so yesterday I took her to Petco, Petsmart and the Locally owned fish store.

I wish I had done this long ago. She now understands why I spend more at the LFS than the chains. Cleaner tanks, happier fish, no overstocking the tanks and people that know what they are talking about. (This couple has run the store for 25 years)

Now. She definitely wants Angels.

The tank is a 75 Gallon Bow Front.
    It currently has 6 Serpae Tetra, 4 of the Glowlite tetras(not mine, came with the tank) 2 oto's and 3 guppies.

I think it's pretty understocked at the moment.

The Angels she likes are currently about nickel size(body) but planning for full growth how many are safe? I was thinking of sticking to two and adding some of her other favorites (Rummynose tetras) after a few weeks. Otherwise would 4 angels be too much at full growth?

Thanks.

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome.
    I think 3 young ones would work but later you might have to watch for aggression, especially if a pair forms. I am running into that a little in my 125 with 6 Angels. I am probably going to have to rehome at least 2-hoping they develop territory and/or distribute the aggression amongst the other 4 (have a mated pair at this point and possibly a second pair).
    I have some killi and other bottom dwellers in that tank. I have no idea how rummynose will do but I have neons in with my angels, although it is not recommended as the Angels may decide to eat them. However, I feed fairly heavily and it has not been an issue.

You have a bowront and if I recall that gives you a little more height then the regular 75g. Is that right?
    Again, you may want three and see if they form a pair then maybe plan on rehoming one.
    I am not sure I would add any more that swim in the middle but a couple more oto and then round it out with a group of bottom dwellers.
    Good luck whatever you decide!

3. dmmuir Member Member

It's 24" deep, 48" long.
    My Serpae's tend to hang out in the middle, and the 3 little guppies are always up top.

Wife is still deciding between the rummy's and the dwarf rainbowfish. I plan to add the Angels and after time to let the tank adjust see how things look and adjust stocking from there.

4. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

i would go with 4 or 5 personally if 2 pair the 3rd is in for a beating

5. dmmuir Member Member

I have a pretty good feel for the LFS owners. I am sure they would be good with returning an odd man out type angel. It's not like I would expect a refund, just a good home for an angel if it was picked on.

They almost always have a tank on the side that is a fish that outgrew or had issues with their previous home.

My biggest concern is having too much bioload when the Angels reach full size, since they can get quite large.