Adding a bolivian ram(s) to my stock ?

EdieBadedie

Hello all. I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 pearl gouramis, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 rummynose tetras, and around 8 amano shrimp. I'm looking to add something because it's been the same for quite some time. I was thinking a bolivan ram, but I'm unsure of how it would do with the gouramis ( they're both female if that makes a difference). I've never had rams, so I also don't know if they'd do better in a pair or just a single. Thoughts and ideas appreciated!

Brilliance

I think it’d be fine because the gouramis would be on the top while the ram would be on the bottom, if you have cover I bet it’s be fine

Upvote 0

EdieBadedie

I think it’d be fine because the gouramis would be on the top while the ram would be on the bottom, if you have cover I bet it’s be fine
Okay great,I've got lots of plants and little caves. Do you know if a single is better or a male/female pair ?

Upvote 0

Brilliance

I believe a single would be less agressive, a pair might exhibit aggressive breeding behavior Id assume…

Upvote 0

EdieBadedie

I believe a single would be less agressive, a pair might exhibit aggressive breeding behavior Id assume…
Gorcha, thank you !

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Rams do need a higher temperature than most of the other fish- 82 degrees. They can also be very slow to eat so you need to ensure you are adding enough food for them to get to. All the other fish can be gluttons so they will try to eat all the food so the rams starve. Rams do not rush to food and like to forage for it a bit later. This can be a challenge.

Upvote 0

Diane 007

Rams do need a higher temperature than most of the other fish- 82 degrees. They can also be very slow to eat so you need to ensure you are adding enough food for them to get to. All the other fish can be gluttons so they will try to eat all the food so the rams starve. Rams do not rush to food and like to forage for it a bit later. This can be a challenge.
You have the rams mixed up. Bolivian rams definitely do NOT like the higher temperatures.

Upvote 0

RedOnion

You have the rams mixed up. Bolivian rams definitely do NOT like the higher temperatures.
They do not "not" like the higher temps, they can do well in the higher temps. Preferably you would wanna stay in between 76-82 for them. They could live in warmer water and they will still be fine.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NofishB4
  • Question
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views
Katie13