Adding A Betta!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manuel1223

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so right now I have a cycled 30 gal with 5 albino Cory cats. A few other fish that my brother will take over. But I really want to have a school of fish along with a half moon betta. I was thinking about a Amber tetra school but unsure about the amount that’s recommended to have if I put a betta in the mix. Any advice before I make the move? I want to get educated first!

CloudTheFluffy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A school of six should go along fine I think, maybe more but I would start with six.
Make sure you have a back up plan in case the betta is too aggressive or is getting niped. A lot/most bettas do fine in community tanks but there’s always exceptions.

OP
Manuel1223

Manuel1223

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A school of six should go along fine I think, maybe more but I would start with six.
Make sure you have a back up plan in case the betta is too aggressive or is getting niped. A lot/most bettas do fine in community tanks but there’s always exceptions.
As far as adding more, how many could I have in there? Would 11 be crazy?

OP
Manuel1223

Manuel1223

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Perfect! As far as finding the right one. I think all I can do is put the betta I want next to another betta at a LFS to see if they flare up? from what I read that would be my best bet.

CloudTheFluffy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Pretty much. You want the betta to flare up to make sure he’s not sick but if gets super excited and try’s to get to the other betta, attack through the cup very aggressively, like hitting the sides then that’s more than likely not the best choice.

OP
Manuel1223

Manuel1223

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Awesome thank you!
Do you have a betta? If so do you have a planted tank?

CloudTheFluffy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
No I do not have a betta. If your concerned about bettas and plants I have never heard of a betta destyoying plants and pretty much every fish who doesn’t destroy plants enjoys them a great deal includeing bettas.

OP
Manuel1223

Manuel1223

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Actually I was reading about the tank set up. I have artificial wood and plants right now on top of some sand. Many suggest live plants. I was thinking of doing driftwood and live plants but wasn’t sure how that would work with my sand. That’s something I’m looking into also.

CloudTheFluffy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
There are plants the will grow in sand with root tabs. Or if the expense of good substrate is an issue I would suggest buying a small a bag and only putting it were you want plants. There are also a variety of plants that you can just attach to driftwood that look good.
If the plants are plastic I would switch them out for silk or take them out entirely until you can do live or silk. Bettas pretty much always eventually tear there fins to shreds on plastic plants. Same with the fake wood if it has sharp edges.

OP
Manuel1223

Manuel1223

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay I will have to look into root tans. My sand is black so if that doesn’t work I can add the substrate you mentioned and put them where I want plants.

I’m pretty sure I’m taking out the plants and driftwood. I would prefer the natural look and am concerned the betta will damage their fins. Thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom