Adding A Betta

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright so I'll add the dechlorinator before adding the betta. I had no idea that letting the tank run for a long time didn't cycle it.. thank you guys so much for the help I really appreciate it!

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Amber Fuschetto said:
Wow.. I never knew any of these things.. thank you for all that information. All I know is before getting the fish I had the tank setting up with the filter running for about a month. I took the water to a fish store every few weeks and they'd check the water levels and the told me when it was safe to add the fish in. I guess not. My question is, would it be okay to add a betta? Or is it best to wait it out?? Thankyou so much for all this useful information. I'm going to get dechlorinator tonight as well as my water levels tested
A single betta wont really produce enough ammonia (poo) to make any of the water parameters high enough to kill him, as long as you dont overfeed. Food that he doesnt eat from overfeeding, sits on the bottom and decomposes which produces more ammonia (bad). This is why routine cleaning and vacuuming is necessary in all tanks.

If your tank has just been sitting for awhile, i would change out all the water to start with fresh water, dose the entire tank with the correct amount of dechlorinater, and allow the tank temperature to level out. Are you using a heater?

As soon as the water is treated and the temperature is adequate, the betta can go straight into the tank. Others would suggest you to "acclimate" him by floating his bag in the tank for a bit and adding a small amount of tank water into his bag, etc., etc. You should do this with all your fish, but a betta will be fine as long as the water temperatures arent too far off.

Your tank will slowly cycle over the course of about a month or so. You will know it is cycled when one day you test for nitrates and have them. In an effort to help the fish get through the cycle without being stressed, I would do a partial water change (30-40%) WITH DECHLORINATED WATER every 4 or 5 days and then reduce this to about once every 8-12 days once cycled.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, the reason you haven't been successful previously with your fish is because of chlorine poisoning... Dechlorinator will make your tap water safe, so there is no need for you to use distilled water for your betta

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jmarks said:
A single betta wont really produce enough ammonia (poo) to make any of the water parameters high enough to kill him, as long as you dont overfeed. Food that he doesnt eat from overfeeding, sits on the bottom and decomposes which produces more ammonia (bad). This is why routine cleaning and vacuuming is necessary in all tanks.

If your tank has just been sitting for awhile, i would change out all the water to start with fresh water, dose the entire tank with the correct amount of dechlorinater, and allow the tank temperature to level out. Are you using a heater?

As soon as the water is treated and the temperature is adequate, the betta can go straight into the tank. Others would suggest you to "acclimate" him by floating his bag in the tank for a bit and adding a small amount of tank water into his bag, etc., etc. You should do this with all your fish, but a betta will be fine as long as the water temperatures arent too far off.

Your tank will slowly cycle over the course of about a month or so. You will know it is cycled when one day you test for nitrates and have them. In an effort to help the fish get through the cycle without being stressed, I would do a partial water change (30-40%) WITH DECHLORINATED WATER every 4 or 5 days and then reduce this to about once every 8-12 days once cycled.
My fish passed away yesterday because of what appears to be ammonia poisoning according to others on here. I was told to do an immediate 75% water change which was done about 12 hours ago. Would starting over with fresh water that's been dosed with dechlorinator be my best bet right now? I do use a heater the water is currently sent to 80 degrees

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Amber Fuschetto said:
My fish passed away yesterday because of what appears to be ammonia poisoning according to others on here. I was told to do an immediate 75% water change which was done about 12 hours ago. Would starting over with fresh water that's been dosed with dechlorinator be my best bet right now? I do use a heater the water is currently sent to 80 degrees
Better safe than sorry, so fresh dechlorinated water would be better.

Your previous fish deaths were probably due to a mix of chlorine and ammonia from having an uncycled tank.

We're here to get you on the right track.

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fahn said:
Better safe than sorry, so fresh dechlorinated water would be better.

Your previous fish deaths were probably due to a mix of chlorine and ammonia from having an uncycled tank.

We're here to get you on the right track.
Got it, thanks so much! Keep you updated. Thanks for the help

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright not trying to go against your word because quite frankly I trust this forum and your advice over any pet store. But I just had the water tested for ammonia and chlorine and they said there's nothing in it. Should I still do the water change with the dechlorinator or will my water be okay? Once again thankyou for your advice

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Amber Fuschetto said:
Alright not trying to go against your word because quite frankly I trust this forum and your advice over any pet store. But I just had the water tested for ammonia and chlorine and they said there's nothing in it. Should I still do the water change with the dechlorinator or will my water be okay? Once again thankyou for your advice
I'd still do the water change. You don't know how trained or informed their staff are and many give out misinformation without meaning to.

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fahn said:
I'd still do the water change. You don't know how trained or informed their staff are and many give out misinformation without meaning to.
Sounds good, once again thankyou!

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Absolutely! I would also invest in a test kit (so you can monitor levels yourself), and maybe some test strips (to monitor chlorine). You should still go ahead with the dechlorinator, as you still likely have chlorine in your water.

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lilabug4545 said:
Absolutely! I would also invest in a test kit (so you can monitor levels yourself), and maybe some test strips (to monitor chlorine). You should still go ahead with the dechlorinator, as you still likely have chlorine in your water.
I'm going right now to get seachem prime and plan on doing a fresh change tonight! Thanks so much

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just read your other post. Even you use a water softener, your betta should be fine (they like soft water).

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay perfect.. just to be clear. If I add this dechlorinator do I need to let it set in the water before adding it to the tank, or can I just do it all at once? Thanks for al the help once again

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dechlorinators react pretty quickly. I like to dump mine into my bucket while my bucket is filling in my sink. I then go straight to the tank. Just make sure temperature is close to the temp in the tank.

Also, the pet store workers are usually not very helpful unless they personally keep aquariums.

Your best bet is do do a big, fresh water change. Add your Prime and then add your betta.

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sounds like a plan, doing the water change now Thanks so much once again, you guys helped out so much!!

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just added the betta and she's sitting at the bottom of the tank..Should I put her back into the bowl??

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Amber Fuschetto said:
Just added the betta and she's sitting at the bottom of the tank..Should I put her back into the bowl??
With a filter running, fresh dechlorinated water, and a bigger home....the fish will be fine. Do you have a heater running?

Also, can you recap the equipment you have?

20 gallon tank,
what type of filter?
heater?
which chemicals did you buy?
what food do you have?
do you have lights for the tank?

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jmarks said:
With a filter running, fresh dechlorinated water, and a bigger home....the fish will be fine. Do you have a heater running?
The heater is running on 80, and the filter as well. I also put the dechlorinator into the water, he should be okay?

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Amber Fuschetto said:
The heater is running on 80, and the filter as well. I also put the dechlorinator into the water, he should be okay?

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom