Help Adding A Angelfish, Good Or Bad?

fishpersonallday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello, Fish forum.
I've wanted to get an angelfish for a long time and have considered putting it in many of my tanks but they do not work with the fish I wanted the most and decided to drop the idea for every fishes health and safety.
It has recently come to my attention that I could possibly put one (or two?) in with my freshwater community tank. I have a 36 gallon bowfront. I want to know if it would be compatible with my other fish...
I have one dwarf flame gourami who is very aggressive...he does not like other gourami's in the tank and has killed off another flame gourami and 2 german blue rams.
2 corydoras.
1 4 inch pleco who will stay that size. (Doesn't come out much)
And three tetra glofish. They aren't aggressive to anyone but themselves. They have never picked on a fish but they tend to chase each other around. Looks more like play chasing to be honest.
I have 2 live plants in it and the rest are plastic. Some hiding places but not for full-sized angels.

Can I keep more than one (or any at all) or is that too risky?

Thank you.

Zka17

Valued Member
Reaction score
The 36 gallon bow front is an ideal tank for an angelfish pair (I have it too). I also have 1 pleco and 2 Sterbai corys. I do not know about the gourami, but I can tell you that when spawning, the angelfish will get very very aggressive. They also get pretty big - I would be concerned about the gourami (although I never had them).

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think 1 angel would work well in your setup. I've kept angels with blue and dwarf gouramis without agression. They also get along with cories and larger tetra, so you should be fine.

I would recommend only 1 angel though. If you get 2 and they are both male, then they will fight. Or is you get 1 male and 1 female and they pair up, they will terrorize the rest of the tank when they breed. 2 females could work, but even then sometimes the females will lay eggs together and defend them even though they are not fertile.

fishpersonallday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The 36 gallon bow front is an ideal tank for an angelfish pair (I have it too). I also have 1 pleco and 2 Sterbai corys. I do not know about the gourami, but I can tell you that when spawning, the angelfish will get very very aggressive. They also get pretty big - I would be concerned about the gourami (although I never had them).
Edit: Thank you.

fishpersonallday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think 1 angel would work well in your setup. I've kept angels with blue and dwarf gouramis without agression. They also get along with cories and larger tetra, so you should be fine.

I would recommend only 1 angel though. If you get 2 and they are both male, then they will fight. Or is you get 1 male and 1 female and they pair up, they will terrorize the rest of the tank when they breed. 2 females could work, but even then sometimes the females will lay eggs together and defend them even though they are not fertile.
Ok thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom