Adding a 2nd Angelfish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pam orris, Mar 31, 2010.

1. p

pam orris New Member Member

I have 1 mature marbled angelfish for 5 yrs. It and two guppies are in a 30 gal tank. I'm thinking of adding another angel. Any suggestions on how to do this successfully?

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!

Someone else will be better able to answer your Angel question.
    I just wanted to say hi :)

3. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

Hi, welcome!

I only have a suggestion, not a proven method.
    First, I would make sure there is NOT a large size difference in the two angels. Purchase a grown angel (pricey) or raise a juvenile away from the intended tank until of a suitable size to introduce.

When you are ready to introduce the new angel, remove the original one to a temporary 'holding pen', such as a bucket, while you rearrange EVERYTHING in the tank. This will disrupt your original angel's territories. When happy with the new aquascaping, add the NEW angel in, and after a couple of hours reintroduce your original angel.

As I said, this is a suggestion, not a proven solution, so may well be wrong. I am open to others disputing me! Make sure you watch for aggression issues and have another option available to rehouse one if necessary.
    Hope this helps! :)

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

+2 and welcome to fishlore!!!

5. m

mcurtissdsu Well Known Member Member

This is good to know. I also plan on getting a 2nd angelfish when I set up a 29 gallon for my current angelfish. I found a place out here that sells 29g starter kits for $99! I'm moving in about 2 weeks so I'll wait until then.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice