Adding 4 kuhli loaches

Discussion in 'Kuhli Loach' started by wiedow, Jul 27, 2015.

1. wiedowValued MemberMember

I have a 29 gallon planted tank with 6 black skirt tetras, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 S.A. bumblebee catfish ( microglanis iheringi or however its spelled, the small one) , 1 kuhli loach and 2 ghost shrimp.
    I have a snail infestation I'm taking care of and the kuhlis will help , I hope.

As I said , I have 1 kuhli loach currently and I planned on picking up 4 more tomorrow.

How should I go about adding them? No food for a couple days to lower the chance of ammonia spike? Or buy a small bottle of stability plus no food for a few days? The tank has been cycled for about 3 months and the latest addition is 1 black skirt and the bumble bee catfish.

I'm just worried about my fish. Thank you guys!

2. ClearEyes

ClearEyesWell Known MemberMember

If your tank is fully cycled with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and some nitrates, you should just be able to drop them right in after proper acclimation.

Also, kuhli loaches do best with a minimum of 6.

3. OP
    OP
    w

wiedowValued MemberMember

I know loaches have a small bioload. So I could add 5 safely and shouldn't worry too much?

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Kuhli loaches do best in groups of 6+, which is likely too much for you 29 gal tank. If you're looking to just control your snail population, assassin snails would do the trick. If you're looking for a bottom feeder, cories might be better suited to the smaller tank size.

EDIT: I'm referring to their size. The can get between 4-5 inches, and 6 of those in a 29 gal seems like a lot. What are the dimensions of your tank?

5. ClearEyes

Yeah. It's not really about the bioload. It's that your loaches will behave more like their normal selves and be happier and less stressed if they have enough of their own around. 6 is generally the accepted minimum number.

6. maggie thecat

maggie thecatWell Known MemberMember

I've never noticed kuhli loaches eating snails. Shrimp pellets? Oh yeah. Snails, not so much. All the same, your singleton will appreciate buddies.

7. OP
    OP
    w

Could only get 3. The rest were dead :(

8. ClearEyes

Dead at the store? I wouldn't have bought them at all if they had dead tankmates. Who knows why they were dead? If there was some sort of disease, you might have just brought it home :(

9. OP
    OP
    w

She said she didn't feed them because she didnt even know they had them in, and they were there for a week plus shipping time. They looked life they were underfed. Plus the stock tanks water was way too warm for them :(

10. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Agree with ClearEyes
    Never buy fish from a tank in which others are dead or not looking well!!

11. ClearEyes

Those are both things that could have led to sickness...keep a close eye on them in your tank!

12. OP
    OP
    w

The smallest one is being lethargic. Having trouble moving. I'm worried he won't make it. Other two new ones are doing great though

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice