Adding 2nd Filter to setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrapin240

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey All,

Looking to add a second filter to my 50 gallon.

Anything that I should be aware of when doing this?
Also, with the second spray bar, wouldn't it be a lot of pressure/current?

Thanks in advance

DanB80TTS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What type of filter are you currently running and what are you intending to add?
HOB, canister, internal?

OP
S

scrapin240

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I currently have a Penn Plax Cascade 700, and looking to add another canister, or should I look at something else?

I hate HOB with a passion.

OP
S

scrapin240

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They all make some type of noise, especially when the water level get a little low. I also have never had any good luck with crystal clear water with them, unlike canister filters. And there seems more maintenance with HOB vs the canisters.

DanB80TTS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your current filtration is more than enough for a 50gallon, is there any particular reason you want o add more filtration?

Also what fish are in the tank.
Tank dimensions would be good to know also.

Lots of questions I know! If you fill in the 'about me' section of your profile it can make everything much easier, you won't have to answer the same questions over and over each time you post.

Welcome to the forum btw!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mine have been super quiet, especially when I raise the water level. No issue. And my water is very clear too (except for the tannins, but that's not the fault of the HOB filter). Plus the HOB filters add in aeration that most canister setups don't - no need for bubblers!

And what additional maintenance? I swish the cartridge in old tank water once a week, that's it!

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I have a hob and canister running in my 36 gallon. I have to say that the canister is much quieter. my hob is a penguin 200b and it makes a little noise when the tank is full and gets louder throughout the weeks as evaporation takes effect so I get where you are coming from. But I haven't had the canister long enough to have to do any maintenance on it so I can't comment on the upkeep but my HOB takes very little. Like TexasDomer said, swish it in aquarium water a couple of times a month and it's good to go.

OP
S

scrapin240

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I will do the about me.

it's a seaclear Acrylic 36" L X 15" W X 20" H

Right now there is about 60% stock with community fish. 8 platys, 2 corys, 6 White clouds, 6 Zebra Danio, 1 BN pleco

I plan to add 2 gouramis, and 4 more corys.

The water seems to have particles floating longer than they should be.

DanB80TTS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HOBs are much easier to clean, but need cleaned more a lot more often.
Canisters are a lot more work to change out pads and things when the time comes, they do offer better filtration though and the media is much more customisable.

DanB80TTS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't think you need extra filtration, but having more filtration isn't a bad thing, as long as the fish aren't being blown around by current it's no issue.

If you have particles floating around you might want to clean out the canister, maybe replace the fine filter floss if it's gotten clogged up real bad.

The order in which you have the media can make a difference to the performance of the filter too.

OP
S

scrapin240

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just changed the filter floss like 2 weeks ago, so that's why I was like maybe another filter might be in order.

The order is what Penn Plax recommended; floss w/carbon; floss with coarse pad; floss with coarse pad, and bio sponge.

DanB80TTS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ideally you want the water to pass through the coarse pad first, that filters out the larger debris, then the fine floss to catch the finer particles, chemical filtration could come next, I don't personally use any carbon in mine, then lastly you would want the biomedia.
In that order you keep the flow rate much more effectively, you want the water to be free of as much particles as possible before it hits the biomedia, if the biomedia starts to clog with dirt then you lose surface area for the beneficial bacteria.

In my sunsun canister (3stage), the free space at the bottom has a single layer of ceramic prefilter rings (the prefilter stuff is a tight fit but it really does help to trap a lot of larger dirt) then I have coarse pad and fine pads in the first tray, then another fine pad and plastic bio balls in the second, in the third and final tray I have all biorings. It works great for me and keeps my biomedia looking nice and clean, my water stays crystal clear too. I clean my filter out maybe once a month, I'm sure I could let it go quite a lot longer though.

amydeb

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a canister and a HOB. Mine is loud when the water starts to get even a little low, but it's an old Whisper 60. I just got a Fluval Aquaclear for my son's tank (he had a penguin) and this thing is QUIET. Even during a water change when the water was low, it didn't splash and make as much as the last one. I think it might be the way the outflow is molded. Anyway, you might want to look at those. They have stacked media, not cartridges. I really like it. When the whisper finally gives up, I will definitely get an Aquaclear to replace it.

SnyperTodd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
...Plus the HOB filters add in aeration that most canister setups don't - no need for bubblers!

And what additional maintenance? I swish the cartridge in old tank water once a week, that's it!
I have to disagree with your assertion that HOBs aerate the water better than canisters. I've seen a couple other people on this forum say the same thing, but it's simply untrue. Most canisters can be set up however you want, from virtually no surface movement to far more than any HOB can manage.

I'm with you, scrapin240, I stopped using HOBs about 15 years ago and don't miss them one bit. With canisters there's no noise, no evaporation, totally customizable intake and outlet options, less regular maintenance, much more media space; I just don't see any real advantages to an HOB if you have room for a canister. I clean my canisters every 2-3 months, it takes less than 10 minutes.

OP
S

scrapin240

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I changed my water yesterday and wanted to change out the carbon. I notice that the motor housing in my Cascade looks like it has a hole/split in it when I was changing the water. The water has remained cloudy since the water change which was over 36 hours ago.

Is this due to the little hole? I am thinking it may be affecting the efficiency of it at the very least, and may be what's contributing to not clearing the tank up to my expectations. I checked my parameters, Nitrate/Nitrite/Ammonia are all 0, pH = 7.6, and High Range pH is a 7.4

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom