Addictions....

1. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Hello Everybody!

As some of you may know, I just quit smoking. It's a crazy life change for me, as (I Know, I Know, Very CRAZY) I have been smoking since I was 12, and I am only 19 years of age.

It is my 4th day on the patch, and surprisingly, it was easier for me the first two days, but today and yesterday, it has really been testing me. It is really hard for me, and anyone who smokes or has smoked knows how I feel. 4 days is amazing for me, but I wanted (from the directions and suggestions of other people) to create a thread on this forum, so that I can share my feelings about my quitting (kind of like a journal). For anyone who actually wants to hear my whining, lol

Another reason why I wanted to create this thread is because I know there are a lot of other people out there who have addictions (not necessarily smoking, but ANYTHING!) and who may need support from the friendly people on this forum. I have tried to join a non-smoking forum, and they were not supportive at all!!! I was so surprised at how unorganized that forum was compared to the one we have here at FishLore. I love it here!!

I will give you a daily report on how I am doing, listen if you want, don't listen if you don't want, lol.

But I kindly invite anyone to talk about any of their problems or addictions and maybe we can build a solid support system here!!!!!!!! ;D ;D

PS>>>As you may have guessed, I'm sure that disparaging and discouraging remarks about any personal problems are totally inappropriate and unacceptable. (I'm sure I won't have to restate that, but just to be certain, lol)

Thanks for anyone who got through all that!! I'll give you an update on my personal rehab tomorrow, lol

2. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

Keep up the good work it will be hard but you will thank your self thought Ive never had any major addictions only to chocolate :D lol

3. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

lol never been a big chocolate eater (although i get a hankering for a snickers bar every now and then lol)

but chips like doritos are my weakness ;)

Thanks for your support :)

4. not4you Member Member

Congrats on stopping smoking EmpPleco!!! I also recently gave up smoking, I haven't had one in 2 months as of today. Keep up the good work!

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Congrats keep up the good work!!
    OOOohh Caffeine is my thing!!! My kids used to tell everybody not to talk to me until after I had my first soda in the morning :D I've managed to back off the soda some in the last year and as a nice reward have lost 25 lbs(less soda=less sugar).
    EmpPleco, not4you hang in there and keep us posted as to how your doing.
    Are you doing anything different to help get through this? exercising more? amything different?
    Carol

6. Craig Well Known Member Member

very well done my addiction would b laughter i love havin a good laugh with my m8s lol

C W :D

7. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

LoL. Well I am eating a lot more fruit and veggies, to stop me from gaining any extra weight. (they say once you quit smoking you gain 10 extra pounds.. great! lol).

Just like you, Carol, I used to drink alot of soda because I needed my caffeine fix, and I just recently stopped because I just felt I had way too many addictions going on at the same time. But then after this past Saturday, when i stopped smoking, I allow myself to have one soda a day as a reward!

I think the hardest part about not smoking is waking up in the morning, I just feel like I want to die, lol -- and after a big meal. I think it is probably getting better as I go.. :)

Congrats!!!!!!!! Does it get easier as you go? Do you still have alot of temptations?

8. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i bet its hard my grandpa smoked for a long time and he had to stop other wise he would have a hole in his nose so he quit but he had a hard time but he ended up have to take some sking from his ear to patch the small hole in his ear so let that be a lesson to you on why to stop smokking

yet another lesson my uncle has lots of horses and shows them but he knows a guy who used to work for him but he smokes a ton of packages a day i think its he smokes a new ciggarete eveery half hour is what my uncle figured out but he is 40 and if he doesnt stop smoking soon by 45 he will be on a oxygen machine for the rest of his life he smokes so much i think its 10 packs a day or something like taht but its crazy

Good Luck though hope you can stop

9. not4you Member Member

Yes it does get easier as you go and the number of cravings will go down, STICK WITH IT!!!!

Plus it's really nice to wake up in the morning now w/o wheezing and coughing up lung butter ;)

And think of all the $$$ you will be saving. My wife also quit smoking at the same time (we smoked about the amount) and by our estimates we've already saved almost $500 :eek:

10. RoboDude Member Member

Congratulations, EmpPleco and not4you!
    I don't have any addictions, and I hope that when I'm a teen, I won't go through any peer pressure. Hehehe . . . I liked that word you used, not4you, lung butter, LOL!

11. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

yes lung butter that was hilarious!!!

RoboDude -- it's wonderful that you don't have any addictions -- none of them (no matter what it is) are any good for you, lol.

not4you- I get my first paycheck since i quit smoking on Friday, and it will give me 70 extra dollars!!!!!!! I am way too excited about it :) My fiancee has also quit smoking, although he didn't smoke nearly as much as I did, and i don't really think he was addicted ( i just think he smoked one when he wanted to, and didn't when he didn't - i was so jealous all this time! However, i recently realized that smoking is horrible no matter how much you do it, and that if he did it any longer, he risked being just as bad as i was)

Anywho, I am fine right now, but today at work, this one person i don't get along with too well was getting on my nerves so bad, and i felt like i needed a cigarette more than ever!!! ughh! but, i just took deep breaths and ate a couple of grapes, and by the time she was finally quiet again after yapping for so long, lol -- i was feeling better.

:)

Oh, and RoboDude - Peer Pressure sucks -- you don't have to do what your 'friends' do just because they think it's cool :)

If they can't understand why you don't want to do it, then they are not really your friends ;)

12. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

EmpPleco, you made the right choice to quit smoking. I wish you best of luck with it. I am sure you can do it and quit smoking for good! Too many people are sick and dying because of smoking, as I am sure you already know. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, beneficial that comes out of smoking. So, once again, good luck! You CAN do it!

As for my addictions ... they definitely have to be (1) Cold Stone ice cream (best ice cream in the whole world!), and (2)PecanBuns (delicious warm cinnamon bun with pecans, caramel, etc ... yummy!) ... LOL. I know ... they're all sweet and high in calories and generally unhealthy ... but ... they're so good! (I try to swim whenever I have the time to burn all the calories that I eat and that are unnecessary and unhealthy).

13. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

omg - you are making me so hungry!!! lol jk

lol thats the way i do it -- i indulge sometimes and then i exercise a whole lot later to make up 4 it :)

14. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

So How is everyone doing ?? Good I hope? :)

Tomorrow will be my 1 week anniversary since I stopped smoking..

Hooray!!! :D I got past that crucial first week ;)

15. AnnaEA Member Member

Way to go!!!

Something that I found helped me tremendously when I quit smoking (and still does) was to keep a water bottle around -- usually just bottled water, once in a while iced green tea.

Something about the cool smooth subtle taste of the water and the way it felt in my mouth really helped whack the cravings when they hit.

Anna

16. Marc Well Known Member Member

Yes, anything to carry around to do to distract yourself will help. My grandpa always chewed on a flavored toothpick, but you'd probably think you're weird if you do that :)

17. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

That's A good idea Anna! Thanks, i Will try that. Plus.. (shh don't tell anyone) I need to drink more water anyway. ALOT more water than I do, lol! :D

They sell flavored toothpicks!!!!! i didn't know that!

18. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

yup i like the Cinnamon ones

19. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Wow where do you get them?

20. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

Hey Isabella there is a coldstone cremery by me too but i have never been there though i have heard that its really good