Added Too Much Prime

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This could affect your pH. I would test it to see how much it has gone up overall in the tank. If there's a spike, then change out some water.

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
endlercollector said:
This could affect your pH. I would test it to see how much it has gone up overall in the tank. If there's a spike, then change out some water.
I read I can does up to 5x so would 9ml be safe? 5x would be around 15ml.
I'll check my ph. It is usually 8.2

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ASHLEY R COOK said:
I read I can does up to 5x so would 9ml be safe? 5x would be around 15ml.
I'll check my ph. It is usually 8.2
Up to 5x dose is safe. So on a 37 gallon 18ml would be within the 5x dose.
OscarHoya said:
I'll defer to more experienced help here. But, why did you use prime if you were cycled good and only needed to thin out your nitrates (probably with some water changes)?
Prime is a dechlorinator. I'm sure that's why she used it. Now that she has Ammonia showing, assuming it's at the tap a 2x dose per water change is prudent to keep the Ammonia detoxed while the cycle clears it anyway. BUT if she has chloramine at her tap it can read on some tests as Ammonia as well and again a 2x dose would be prudent in that circumstance as well.

Personally I dose for the entire volume and for the tank plus about 25%-50% additional per water change just to be sure anything is resolved as I live in a mining and agricultural area so many things can pop up in my tap unexpectedly.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
endlercollector said:
OK, time to stop using Prime and switch to Amquel Plus. I had to do that when I discovered a nitrate spike in our tap water.
Prime detoxes chlorine, chloramine, Ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte plus binds heavy metals. She's fine using prime and in her circumstances would likely be the most recommended option.

Alex Pasquale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay first off, don't panic there's no need to do a water change. The nice thing about Prime is that there's really no such thing as "adding too much". I always add more conditioner (Prime) when I'm doing water changes. Trust me you're completely fine.

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alex Pasquale said:
Okay first off, don't panic there's no need to do a water change. The nice thing about Prime is that there's really no such thing as "adding too much". I always add more conditioner (Prime) when I'm doing water changes. Trust me you're completely fine.
Haha i am panicing. I didn't do any water changes but I love my fish and I'm such a newb. Argh!
Thx

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sfsamm said:
Prime detoxes chlorine, chloramine, Ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte plus binds heavy metals. She's fine using prime and in her circumstances would likely be the most recommended option.
Actually, when ammonia is present in the water, Prime only detoxes it for about 24 hours. I've had better luck with Amquel Plus keeping the numbers at zero.

Alex Pasquale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ASHLEY R COOK said:
Haha i am panicing. I didn't do any water changes but I love my fish and I'm such a newb. Argh!
Thx
Yeah like I said no need to worry, I ALWAYS add double the recommended dose of Prime inside all 6 of my tanks and never had 1 issue. The best thing to do is don't overthink it or you will drive yourself insane. Trust your instincts as well. The biggest problem in this hobby sometimes comes from people over-doing things which ends up killing their fish, plants, or whatever.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
endlercollector said:
Actually, when ammonia is present in the water, Prime only detoxes it for about 24 hours. I've had better luck with Amquel Plus keeping the numbers at zero.
You're correct that Prime only binds it for 24-48 hours. It can also be dosed daily if necessary and if she is cycled the 24-48 hours is more than enough time for her cycle to process through that amount of Ammonia. If I had indication that she was not cycled I'd advise daily dosing until her cycle completed.
I've not used Aquamel so I have no comments one way or another over its effectiveness but prime is one of (I believe the second most) concentrated dechlorinator on the market making the amount you pay per dose exceptionally less expensive for all the benefits that it offers rather than using multiple products and likely still not receiving all the advantages of Prime. Especially with the natural slime coat protection included which many many people provide through a supplemental product.

No one product is made for everyone and I'm not by any means trying to sway your opinion in Aquamel as I'm sure that it works well for you. She already has Prime though and there is no reason for her to change products.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sfsamm said:
You're correct that Prime only binds it for 24-48 hours. It can also be dosed daily if necessary and if she is cycled the 24-48 hours is more than enough time for her cycle to process through that amount of Ammonia. If I had indication that she was not cycled I'd advise daily dosing until her cycle completed.
I've not used Aquamel so I have no comments one way or another over its effectiveness but prime is one of (I believe the second most) concentrated dechlorinator on the market making the amount you pay per dose exceptionally less expensive for all the benefits that it offers rather than using multiple products and likely still not receiving all the advantages of Prime. Especially with the natural slime coat protection included which many many people provide through a supplemental product.

No one product is made for everyone and I'm not by any means trying to sway your opinion in Aquamel as I'm sure that it works well for you. She already has Prime though and there is no reason for her to change products.
Amquel Plus, not Amquel. There's a difference. Amquel Plus binds for longer than 24 hours. As I've written elsewhere for the past 4 years, I switched to Amquel Plus when we had a nitrate spike in our tap water. Other members here helped me out because Prime wasn't doing the trick.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It doesn't matter which dechlorinator the OP uses, they do the same jobs.
Let's not start up chaos about water treatments.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I always add more than I should. I have a Python which fills the tank so I add a little bit several times while filling then top off the tank with a whole capful after finishing. I even do that with my baby fish and all are fine.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom