Added Sponge Filter Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Billy T, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Billy T

Billy TValued MemberMember

have a 10g and started with this.. image.jpg
    Today picked up this... image.jpg
    3 guppies and powder blue dg. Does anyone think this is ok or too much? The top of the water seems to be rockin. On the aqua-tech I had already been doing the water bottle trick. Also have a sponge on the intake and a sponge in the filter. Wanted to try and help them out but hopefully not stressing them too much. Would a video help? Thanks

2. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

If your fish are okay, then ask yourself why add another filter that takes up space. I know people say to filter the tank 8-10 times the volume of the tank. It doesn’t hurt to follow that rule, but 3 guppies and a Dwarf Gouramie is very lightly stocked. Do you think your fish need it?

3. OP
    OP
    Billy T

I didn’t include a pretty big deal, sorry. But it’s a fish in cycle. It’s been I believe about 3 weeks now. But have had to do water changes like every other day. It doesn’t bother me, I’ll do however many I need to, but just wanted to try this out

Doesn’t really take up too much more room. I took out a ornament and a fake plant

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
  4. scarface

Go for it. It certainly doesn’t hurt. I just thought it would appear a bit clunky. You can also use it for a future aquarium later on, with an already established bio filter on hand.

5. OP
    OP
    Billy T

image.jpg

image.jpg

It was the smallest one available

6. scarface

Looks nice!

7. OP
    OP
    Billy T

Thanks I’m kind of addicted. I bought another for my Baby Betta Girls, her tank is cycled, and I was gonna end up swapping the sponges if the 10g had not cycled yet. But I don’t think I want to mess with her water flow

DG keeps swimming by it and getting caught in bubbles, would think he would stay away or does he like it? Will this harm him? Should I move a plant right in front of it?

image.jpg Yeah I blocked it off and added my plant I took out, think this is better

image.jpg

8. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Looks good! Yeah if you had a power head or circ. fan, things would probably get a little too crazy in the tank! lol That's about right, because if you head to certain lfs's a lot of their display tanks have a similar size sponge/bubbler-filter. Yours is perfect. : )

9. OP
    OP
    Billy T

Yeah I think I’m sold. It’s barely been 12 hrs and one of my guppies color already seems more intense and none of them have the black eyes, which I have seen is a sign of stress, before 1 maybe 2, would not have it but I can’t recall all not having the black eyes at the same time.Sponge filter is Awesome sauce. Originally I wanted the DG, 1 Guppy, And Cory’s but my daughter wanted 2 girl Guppies. Could it be possible to add the Cory’s now with the extra filtration and oxygen after the tank cycles and could I get away with 3 or 4 or would that be cruel, bc 5 or 6 would def probably be to much

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice