Added New Fish, Two Died Within 48 Hours, All Numbers Are Good

ghurty

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just added a few new fish to my existing established tank. These fish were added Friday morning. Now two of the Sterba's Cory Cat are dead (maybe a third because I cant find it, it is very small).

I took water samples, and everything is perfect (see attached photo)

The water temp is 75.

One of the ones as it was dying would move a little then stop, it was pretty listless.

The other fish are acting normally.

The other members of the tank are:
1 x BP
1 X Rainbow Shark
2 X Zebra Danios
1 X PLaty

They have all been in the tank for months.
The new members are:
8 X Diamond Tetra
4 X GBR's
2 X Gold Severums
1 X Gold Bushy Nose Pleco
6 X Sterba's Cory Cat
The fish came from Liveaquaria

Any ideas?

Thank you

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sounds like a bad strain of Cories if it's just them. What's the tank size? I'm not going to be hard on you about it, but I think some members will be critical of your stock. Although, I can tell you that the Rams aren't going to do well at that temperature.

ghurty

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's a 75 gallon tank.

The stock was based on others users posts. My target temperature is actually a bit higher 79 but on of the heaters stopped working.

According to liveaquaria website the GBR are 72-79. So why wouldn't they do well?

Thank you

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Liveaquaria doesn't have accurate temperature recommendations. That one's actually very inaccurate, they aren't usually that far off. Rams should be kept at 80-86 degrees. If you google them you'll actually find a lot higher temperature recommendations. I keep mine at about 84. I'm glad you have a big tank, I was hoping it was a size like that. I also think you might run into aggression issues.

ghurty

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you have a website that is more accurate? I need to make sure all the other fish can be at that temperature.

Thank you

skar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes you do have some stocking issues.
GBR also need a mature tank.

As for your late coryies- maybe shock ? Maybe stress from being shipped and they just succumbed to the change ? (Maybe)

ghurty

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What stocking issue? Any advice?

What do you mean by a mature tank? The tank has been running with the blood parrot and shark for about 6 months now.

Thank you

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The tank is plenty mature, as long as it's cycled (which it is), it's old enough. Just not warm enough. I'll give you my constructive criticism. Danios are schooling fish and should be in groups of 6 or more. Severum should be in temperatures around 78-82, I've also seen them become aggressive (as they are cichlids). Rainbow sharks can, and often times are, very territorial towards smaller fish. So the blood parrot is in there?

ghurty

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As soon as the new heater comes, the temp will go up. From my googling the Cory Cats may not be able to be at above 80 so that may be a problem.

There originally were 8 zebra danios (they were the first fish) but due to my inexperience, I am down to two but these two have been around for a few months now.

The rainbow shark at time gets a little aggressive and chases the other fish around, but it's only for a short time and usually the Blood Parrot (the BP that I had said ) chases the shark back until it stops (usually for a few seconds ).

Thank you

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Did you add all those fish at once? Cories are fairly sensitive IME. Perhaps you had an ammonia spike that was processed before you tested the water. They would be quite a few fish for the biofilter to catch up to.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A quick note on Rams. Times have changed with aquarium bred Rams. I have for a long time kept Rams in aquariums at 75-77 F. Several different strains.

ghurty

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
All were added at once. Another died this morning as well as A BGR. But all the numbers are still good any suggestions?

Thank you

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Perhaps they've been raised in drastically different conditions, like with RO water, and are experiencing osmotic shock or a reaction to something else in your water that they are not used to. How did you go about acclimating them?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom