Added new dwarf puffers today seeing that they have ich now…

Buzzdar

i’ve been trying to stock my 20g planted, walstad style dwarf puffer aquarium for awhile with the supply problems and recently ordered 8 online. 4 died that day and the other 4 were active and healthy.
my lfs finally got some in so i picked up 4 more today. I drip acclimated them and threw some hornwort from the tank in while i observed them. They were all super active and munching on ostracods, looking well so i did the impatient rookie thing i usually do and decided to add them to the tank. Doh! I even have another cycled aquarium thats empty. Anyways, i almost immediately noticed two of my new fish have ich. One has one cyst the other has three.
now puffers are scaleless and ive read much conjecture. Aquarium was at 74 but im slowly upping it. I know for sure i can get it to 82, idk if i can go to 86. Is 86 ok for dwarf puffer? Will heat alone and 2x water changes per week cure them of the ich (aka will they be able to fight it off with good water quality and low stress?)? In not, should i use salt or should i nip he bud and go for a med?

tank also houses neocaridina, copepods, ostracods, pond snails 1x mystery snail
vallisneria, ludwigia, wisteria, ludwigia arcuata, hornwort, dwarf hair grass, pearlweed, ar, buce, rotala, floaters and pothos

Attachments

• DC1AFFFB-7A60-4A17-94ED-F41C4A72B223.jpeg
    DC1AFFFB-7A60-4A17-94ED-F41C4A72B223.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 91F22A71-3FC8-42D0-9B3D-1AA218E363BE.jpeg
    91F22A71-3FC8-42D0-9B3D-1AA218E363BE.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 14

Tigerburp

i’ve been trying to stock my 20g planted, walstad style dwarf puffer aquarium for awhile with the supply problems and recently ordered 8 online. 4 died that day and the other 4 were active and healthy.
my lfs finally got some in so i picked up 4 more today. I drip acclimated them and threw some hornwort from the tank in while i observed them. They were all super active and munching on ostracods, looking well so i did the impatient rookie thing i usually do and decided to add them to the tank. Doh! I even have another cycled aquarium thats empty. Anyways, i almost immediately noticed two of my new fish have ich. One has one cyst the other has three.
now puffers are scaleless and ive read much conjecture. Aquarium was at 74 but im slowly upping it. I know for sure i can get it to 82, idk if i can go to 86. Is 86 ok for dwarf puffer? Will heat alone and 2x water changes per week cure them of the ich (aka will they be able to fight it off with good water quality and low stress?)? In not, should i use salt or should i nip he bud and go for a med?

tank also houses neocaridina, copepods, ostracods, pond snails 1x mystery snail
vallisneria, ludwigia, wisteria, ludwigia arcuata, hornwort, dwarf hair grass, pearlweed, ar, buce, rotala, floaters and pothos
Use ich X ,you want to make sure you take care of ich properly and you need not move them to another tank

Buzzdar

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20 g
How long has the tank been running? 3 months
Does it have a filter? No
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 76
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) in post

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
How much of the water do you change?
What do you use to treat your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Api test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? They currently feed from the tank
How much do you feed your fish? -
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Live food
Do you feed frozen? -
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? -

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 day
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Ich cyst
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Raising temp
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no except cyst
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Cyst

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading )
explained in post
Use ich X ,you want to make sure you take care of ich properly and you need not move them to another tank
Will the formaldehyde kill my vals? Its similar to ’liquid co2’, no?

Tigerburp

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20 g
How long has the tank been running? 3 months
Does it have a filter? No
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 76
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) in post

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
How much of the water do you change?
What do you use to treat your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Api test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? They currently feed from the tank
How much do you feed your fish? -
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Live food
Do you feed frozen? -
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? -

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 day
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Ich cyst
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Raising temp
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no except cyst
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Cyst

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading )
explained in post

Will the formaldehyde kill my vals? Its similar to ’liquid co2’, no?
No it’s one of the safest on the market, but if you feel uneasy you can remove the vals first

Buzzdar

No it’s one of the safest on the market, but if you feel uneasy you can remove the vals first
Haha, impossible! Putting vals in the dirt with a strong light was a questionable choice…

Tigerburp

Haha, impossible! Putting vals in the dirt with a strong light was a questionable choice…
They will be fine , i used ich x many times with no issues

Buzzdar

They will be fine , i used ich x many times with no issues
I mean to remove them

Pandorasbox

You sure it’s Ich and not fin rot.

Buzzdar

You sure it’s Ich and not fin rot.
Positive. First pic unclear second pic prominent white cyst

Buzzdar

Ya i know , I am saying ich X is safe
Turns out the heat method was effective (so far). Cysts gone same day i achieved 86 degrees and so far no more cycts. I plan to treat the week as i see no real downside with appropriate time + temp. Only possible downside would be an aquarist no taking enough time and allowing ich to survive, tempering it with the heat.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishfriendof315
Replies
Views
mastersafara
Replies
Views
PowderBlue
Replies
Views