Added More Decor And Plants

Laurenx19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey everyone. I added more decor/plants for my community tank. This is a 36 bowfront community tank. So far ive got 8 neon tetras, 4 otto, 1 African dwarf frog (1 died) im not big on them as it turns out. 2 ghost shrimp and a mystery snail. Tomm im planning on adding
-3 more neon tetras
-1 swordtail
-2 platys OR 2 mollies. Is either better?
Is there enough swimming room /plants/decor to make them comfortable. I've owned neither but im trying to stock and like the looks of both. And are males /females better? I don't want to deal with fry.
6681f98db44e93563597da60facf8abe.jpg
a92b51e3be02d9c687990965dd26e67d.jpg
6df8e1f012daa64d6160d9bc6203ca4d.jpg

Thanks

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks pretty!!!

Laurenx19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you!

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I guess it would be personal preference whether you go with platies or mollies though mollies get much bigger than the platies. I would go with all males though if you don't want to deal with fry. I'd personally also rehome the frog. It's not going to compete well for food with all those livebearers that eat like pigs.

Laurenx19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was actually thinking that. He stays pretty much on the leaves at top where he eats. I may take him back to the lfs i only got him like 10 days ago. Im wondering if the girl drowned

Paradise fish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you should get just 2 more neon tetras and get a centerpiece fish, as you now have
Schoolers/shoalers
Cleaners/bottom feeders, but not yet a
Centerpiece.

Laurenx19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was planning on getting either a dwarf gourami or 2 rams eventually for centerpiece fish. Id LOVE an angel but im getting very mixed reviews. I wanted to buy it as a baby but eh idk. I want to add the centerpiece fish once all my community is established

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years

Laurenx19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes took it to the store and they came back said everything was good. She was by the bubbler so im wondering if she couldn't reach the top for air.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It's best to get the actual numbers for pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Did you get those? I would also invest in your own test kit - the API Freshwater Master Test Kit is more accurate than the test strips.

Laurenx19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yea i kinda wondered why she didn't give the actual parameter. Im going to buy one soon there like $30 though i was hoping to find a good one for reasonable. Ive spent soo much $ on everything already.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
$20 on Amazon. I still have mine from over 2 years ago - gives you about 800 tests. It's a good investment for a fishkeeper.

Laurenx19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you! I never tried Amazon

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Laurenx19 said:
Hey everyone. I added more decor/plants for my community tank. This is a 36 bowfront community tank. So far ive got 8 neon tetras, 4 otto, 1 African dwarf frog (1 died) im not big on them as it turns out. 2 ghost shrimp and a mystery snail. Tomm im planning on adding
-3 more neon tetras
-1 swordtail
-2 platys OR 2 mollies. Is either better?
Is there enough swimming room /plants/decor to make them comfortable. I've owned neither but im trying to stock and like the looks of both. And are males /females better? I don't want to deal with fry.
Thanks
I would add

3 Neon Tetras
2 Platys
2 Pearl Gourami (pair)

You could swap the gouramis for a angel fish but it is likely to eat your neons when its an adult size

You definitely need a center piece fish, i don't think the swordtail would really stand out enough to be a center piece fish in your tank size.

Laurenx19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Is a swordtail considered a centerpiece fish? If i added these 7 more fish would i be fully stocked?

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Laurenx19 said:
Is a swordtail considered a centerpiece fish? If i added these 7 more fish would i be fully stocked?
For people with very small tanks it would be. But imo a swordtail is not a center piece fish.

You could add my above suggestions and still have room for a few more fish. It depends how heavy you like to stock. Some people prefer very light stocking others more on the heavy side.

Laurenx19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah i def dont wanna overstock.
Could i do
11 neon tetras
4 ottos
2 or 3 platys OR 2 mollies
A swordtail
& 2 gourami?
Id add the goramis at the very end once tank is established with community

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd only add 1 pearl if you're going to keep the swordtail and mollies. I'd bump up the otos to 8 also.

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Laurenx19 said:
Yeah i def dont wanna overstock.
Could i do
11 neon tetras
4 ottos
2 or 3 platys OR 2 mollies
A swordtail
& 2 gourami?
Id add the goramis at the very end once tank is established with community
Yes you could stock that in the 36 gallon tank.

What filtration are you running?

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
From what I know about frogs they will eventually drown if they can't get out the water. Usually frog keepers will have raised ground where the frogs can go to rest from all the swimming. From the picture you don't appear to have this (forgive me if I'm wrong). Just a suggestion as to why the one may have died.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom