Added fish without doing the nitrogen cycle..

Et tu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your fish and the TSS will work together at the same time... adding the TSS to the filter just gives the bio media a good boost. Since you don't have gravel, most of the surface for bb to grow is going to be in the filter.

roxyrocky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Et tu said:
Your fish and the TSS will work together at the same time... adding the TSS to the filter just gives the bio media a good boost. Since you don't have gravel, most of the surface for bb to grow is going to be in the filter.
Oh is adding gravel better? I have gravel but I read online that since goldfish produce so much waste the poop will get stuck in the gravel and the ammonia will be crazy high.

Et tu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
While your filter is ok, it's limited in the bio media department. A Aquaclear 70 or even 110 would be able to handle your poop machines so much better.

Et tu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
roxyrocky said:
Oh is adding gravel better? I have gravel but I read online that since goldfish produce so much waste the poop will get stuck in the gravel and the ammonia will be crazy high.
For goldfish bare bottom is a much better way to go, for daily poop removal.

roxyrocky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Et tu said:
For goldfish bare bottom is a much better way to go, for daily poop removal.
Oh alright, thanks!

Et tu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A guy on youtube called Pondguru shows how to make simple, cheap bio filters, out of various plastic bottles, air pumps, and bio media. For your tank to be successful you will need to kick up it's bio filter.

roxyrocky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Et tu said:
A guy on youtube called Pondguru shows how to make simple, cheap bio filters, out of various plastic bottles, air pumps, and bio media. For your tank to be successful you will need to kick up it's bio filter.
If I buy an external filter it's included right?

Et tu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
roxyrocky said:
If I buy an external filter it's included right?
It depends on the type of external filter, Aquaclear is IMHO the best for bio media of any HOB
( hang on back ) filter. Canister filters offer even greater bio media areas.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't take the fish out just pour in the Safe Start .It changes the ammonia into a form that does not harm the fish .If you used Seachems Prime then make sure you wait 24 hours before adding the TSS. Alison

roxyrocky

Valued Member
Reaction score
aliray said:
Don't take the fish out just pour in the Safe Start .It changes the ammonia into a form that does not harm the fish .If you used Seachems Prime then make sure you wait 24 hours before adding the TSS. Alison
Oh okay, thanks for the help

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your welcome. Alison

roxyrocky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I cheated and today I tested my water. I know I know, but guess what? Nitrates! Weird thing is though... there are still traces of ammonia. Is this normal? Also my water is still a bit cloudy..
Ammonia: 0.5 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Is there something wrong with my tank?

roxyrocky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Could it be because my tank is overstocked?

nathanlubensky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would think the ammonia is converting to nitrates which is good news.

as everyone else stated def get a filter that will retain your bacteria. I have also seen a lot of goldfish tanks with crushed coral in a box filter or in a bag in whatever filter is being used, which will raise your pH. I don't think it's necessary but it seems to work well in a lot of the applications I have seen.

roxyrocky

Valued Member
Reaction score
nathanlubensky said:
I would think the ammonia is converting to nitrates which is good news.

as everyone else stated def get a filter that will retain your bacteria. I have also seen a lot of goldfish tanks with crushed coral in a box filter or in a bag in whatever filter is being used, which will raise your pH. I don't think it's necessary but it seems to work well in a lot of the applications I have seen.
Thanks for yhe tip!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads