Added Fish Without Acclimating Them - Eyes Please

Gypsy13
Ok. Unbeknownst to me, hubby added 3 guppies to the aquarium. Wanted to surprise me. Bought from trusted LFS. No QT, no nothing.
One male two female. I went back to check and one female floating on side. Asked hubby to describe. No right fin. Whole body didn’t look right to him. So please look at pics. Tell me what I’m dealing with now. Parameters: amm 0; nitrites 0; nitrates 5-10; ph 6.4. This may be it for me.

Attachments

• 6007A297-7640-4380-B2C8-49B1E26C416D.jpeg
    6007A297-7640-4380-B2C8-49B1E26C416D.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 101
  • CD51A910-77D4-4F98-AC56-E1BF3C208097.jpeg
    CD51A910-77D4-4F98-AC56-E1BF3C208097.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 89
  • AD8BA64F-F6B1-4995-89CD-53FB8AEB1D95.jpeg
    AD8BA64F-F6B1-4995-89CD-53FB8AEB1D95.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 87
Fanatic
HI Gypsy!
I see your problem, and I am sorry about this.

It does appear that the fish is missing its fin, so I would assume it couldn't really cope with that too well if it's already floating on its side, that is not a good sign of it surviving without the fin.
I'll wait for another member to chime in, and give an opinion.

Gypsy13
HI Gypsy!
I see your problem, and I am sorry about this.

It does appear that the fish is missing its fin, so I would assume it couldn't really cope with that too well if it's already floating on its side, that is not a good sign of it surviving without the fin.
I'll wait for another member to chime in, and give an opinion.

She passed before I took photos. She was in the tank a total of maybe an hour cause it takes a while to assemble my hip brace. Thank you for your kind words.

Looking for help here. david1978 Coradee could you please look at the pics of this poor guppy? Hubby added them to the aquarium as a surprise. I need to know what I’m going to be dealing with. I’m going to do a WC as soon as I can get up again. I have no garlic other than old garlic powder. I’ve got corys too.

Fanatic
Looking for help here. david1978 Coradee could you please look at the pics of this poor guppy? Hubby added them to the aquarium as a surprise. I need to know what I’m going to be dealing with. I’m going to do a WC as soon as I can get up again. I have no garlic other than old garlic powder. I’ve got corys too.

Do you mean what you'll be dealing with, in terms of the other guppies?

TexasGuppy
Did he acclimate them? Maybe shock if added too quickly and ph or temp is different.

Gypsy13
Yes. Cause he added them to my established aquarium without QT or acclimating! Also dumped the water from the LFS into the aquarium! I want to scream but he just doesn’t know.

Did he acclimate them? Maybe shock if added too quickly and ph or temp is different.

No. But it’s fins are destroyed. Only in the aquarium for about an hour.

Fanatic
Yes. Cause he added them to my established aquarium without QT or acclimating! Also dumped the water from the LFS into the aquarium! I want to scream but he just doesn’t know.

I would definitely do a water change when possible, that’ll take care of some of the trouble. You should also have the water tested. If the fish didn’t look diseased, they wouldn’t need QT per-say, but not always true.

I just never QT any of my fish.

Gypsy13
I would definitely do a water change when possible, that’ll take care of some of the trouble. You should also have the water tested. If the fish didn’t look diseased, they wouldn’t need QT per-say, but not always true.

I just never QT any of my fish.

If I could see, I’d never buy a fish if any of the fish on that filter system looked ill in any way. But. Since I can’t, I always QT. But hubby doesn’t understand looking for healthy fish. He’s just trying to make me feel better. I’m worried it’s bacterial. When I can get back up, I will try to get a pic of another fish or two.

david1978
If it was distressed from shoch the others could of nibbled its fins off. The only thing that I noticed was red by the gills.

Gypsy13
If it was distressed from shoch the others could of nibbled its fins off. The only thing that I noticed was red by the gills.

Hubby says her tail is only half there and her right fin is missing. Also pale across her back. Female blue Moscow supposedly. Only in the aquarium an hour. Thank you for looking David.

Here are pics of the male and other female. Male is hanging around the top of the tank according to hubs.

So. Little update. My LFS guy called me back. He really is a great fish guy.
But. As it turns out his employee sold hubby three fish out of his QT tank. Just got the shipment to the store today. Didn’t have a chance to even check them before he had to leave. The girl knows that’s a QT tank. There’s a sign that actually hides part of the tank that says “Not For Sale. Quarantine Only”. Hubby says she had to move the sign to catch the fish.
The LFS guy says he’ll replace any fish that die. Even offered to take everything I’ve got and give me a new tank to start over.
I love my fish. I’ve had them a long time.

Attachments

• C8D0C2B4-2A89-4858-BF5F-8A6D6E61899C.jpeg
    C8D0C2B4-2A89-4858-BF5F-8A6D6E61899C.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 369E65E2-DBA4-488F-9961-FE32A1F13F8B.jpeg
    369E65E2-DBA4-488F-9961-FE32A1F13F8B.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 72
  • B6AA1D16-2A01-40D1-9596-3DF5738C14B6.jpeg
    B6AA1D16-2A01-40D1-9596-3DF5738C14B6.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 60
Jenoli42
So. Little update. My LFS guy called me back. He really is a great fish guy.
But. As it turns out his employee sold hubby three fish out of his QT tank. Just got the shipment to the store today. Didn’t have a chance to even check them before he had to leave. The girl knows that’s a QT tank. There’s a sign that actually hides part of the tank that says “Not For Sale. Quarantine Only”. Hubby says she had to move the sign to catch the fish.
The LFS guy says he’ll replace any fish that die. Even offered to take everything I’ve got and give me a new tank to start over.
I love my fish. I’ve had them a long time.

ouch! that's not a pleasant surprise, despite him being well-intentioned.

my thoughts, apart from disease:

-did your other fish attack these new-comers who were just dumped, water and all, into their tank?
-did the pH or temp shock your new-comers and kill off the one you took a photo of?
-were they all in the FS QT because of an issue (eg, injury)?
- was the one with no fins injured in the FS QT?

so many factors could be at play here!

but don't panic. I agree with the water change advice because the scariest part to me is adding the QT water to your established tank...

it sounds like your FS will do right by you though

TexasDomer
I wouldn't preemptively treat your tank with anything. Wait and see what happens. The fish could have been weak from the lack of acclimation and other fish started eating her while she was live.

The guppies likely will not do well in your tank long term with your pH so low - they really should be in a higher pH with hard water. I'd return the other two.

This may be a good opportunity to explain to your husband that he should never do this again. I think it's perfectly acceptable to have limits like this with significant others. You wouldn't go out and radically change something with his hobby without asking him about it first (at least I hope not, or this point doesn't work haha).

Gypsy13
I wouldn't preemptively treat your tank with anything. Wait and see what happens. The fish could have been weak from the lack of acclimation and other fish started eating her while she was live.

The guppies likely will not do well in your tank long term with your pH so low - they really should be in a higher pH with hard water. I'd return the other two.

This may be a good opportunity to explain to your husband that he should never do this again. I think it's perfectly acceptable to have limits like this with significant others. You wouldn't go out and radically change something with his hobby without asking him about it first (at least I hope not, or this point doesn't work haha).

Unfortunately I don’t have anymore interest in his hobbies than he does in mine. Lol. His are, in order, beer, guns, grilling, motorcycle. Mine are extremely diverse. And he did mean well. He just doesn’t think.
I’m sticking with water changes. Everybody ate well tonight even the new male. Big Momma is hiding but she does that. She gets tired of the boys in her old age.
Nobody has been chasing anyone. Well, the danios have been zipping about. Not chasing anyone just doing their danio thing.
And yes, I’ve known my LFS guy for thirty years. He won’t sell unhealthy fish and he explains the nitrogen cycle and feeding to every newbie.
He put the new shipment of guppies in quarantine because he hadn’t had a chance to look them over. His supplier sometimes sends him inferior stock.
Hubby has some issues after his second heart attack. He just doesn’t always think. Thank you for the advice. And if you’ve got a way to raise my ph I’m listening.

TexasDomer
Adding crushed coral or limestone (cheap from the landscape store) is a good way. You can also more precisely control it using buffers, like Seachem's Replenish or Equilibrium for GH (use Equilibrium if the tank is planted) or their alkalinity buffer for KH.

Gypsy13
Will try equilibrium. Tried the crushed coral. No help there.
Thank you!

Jenoli42
Will try equilibrium. Tried the crushed coral. No help there.
Thank you!

the other option is oyster grit (aragonite) directly in your filter. I found it had a negligible effect by itself. (pH went from 6 to 6.3-6.4 over a cpl weeks) ...but combined with SeaChem Buffers it helps keep the tank stable.

equilibrium will not have a direct impact on your pH. it raises gH, increasing mineral content which is good for healthy fish. go easy & adjust at a quarter of their recommended dose at a time for your fish to be happy. I've heard some people see a pH change but I emailed SeaChem & they confirmed that's not common with that product.

you adjust your kH (and directly therefore your pH) by using alkaline buffer & acid buffer together. be ware: a little goes a long way. when I tried just alkaline buffer by itself, our pH skyrocketed from 6.4-7.6 instantly (my intent was raising the kH by just .7). so using it with acid buffer helps you control the change over time.

if you need more specifics, feel free to ask. I've learned all about these products the hard way but now I think I've got it figured out & I end up with exactly what I intended.

Gypsy13
Ok. Keep in mind my stock: guppies, 1 longfin danio, 1 giant danio, 4 White Cloud Mountain gold minnows, 3 albino corydoras. Have fin rot. Was hoping not but there it is. I’ve ordered the Kanaplex overnight. Will be here tomorrow. I’m going to put the most affected fish in the QT tank with some salt. I’m so tired.

TexasDomer
You don't need to worry about pH so much as long as the KH and GH are high enough. Can you test your GH and KH?

You have stocking issues, if you'd like to discuss them. The higher GH/KH/pH would be fine for all of your fish.

Gypsy13
You don't need to worry about pH so much as long as the KH and GH are high enough. Can you test your GH and KH?

You have stocking issues, if you'd like to discuss them. The higher GH/KH/pH would be fine for all of your fish.

Oh boy do I have stocking issues! Took over fifty guppy fry to the LFS. Thought things would settle down for a while. Then hubby decided my longfin danio needed a buddy. So he bought a giant. Then a neighbor was going to flush his three corys. So, hubby added them. Now the Moscows. I’m hoping he’s learned his lesson this time! He’s having to do a LOT of the physical work on fixing this mess. I’ve got to get my 75 going or get these guys through this then take them to LFS and just quit.
Thank you.
I’m going to get my brace on and will get the gh Kh for you.

Gypsy13
Oh boy do I have stocking issues! Took over fifty guppy fry to the LFS. Thought things would settle down for a while. Then hubby decided my longfin danio needed a buddy. So he bought a giant. Then a neighbor was going to flush his three corys. So, hubby added them. Now the Moscows. I’m hoping he’s learned his lesson this time! He’s having to do a LOT of the physical work on fixing this mess. I’ve got to get my 75 going or get these guys through this then take them to LFS and just quit.
Thank you.
I’m going to get my brace on and will get the gh Kh for you.

Well. Nobody can find my gh/kh test. Had to use test strip. According to neighbor, kh 0 gh 0 ph 6

TexasDomer
I'm hoping that those strips are bad (strips tests are often inaccurate and can go bad). I would get a GH/KH kit from Amazon or Ebay - pretty cheap there.

No need to quit! But if you don't particularly like any of the fish you have, go ahead and take them all back to your LFS and we can help you come up with a stocking plan that you love and is appropriate for your tank.

Gypsy13
I'm hoping that those strips are bad (strips tests are often inaccurate and can go bad). I would get a GH/KH kit from Amazon or Ebay - pretty cheap there.

No need to quit! But if you don't particularly like any of the fish you have, go ahead and take them all back to your LFS and we can help you come up with a stocking plan that you love and is appropriate for your tank.

I love my guppies, minnows, danio and now the corys. Not what I would’ve chosen but it’s what I have. The giant danio will go to the LFS.
Look at this chip in my 40L. Tell me what you think please.

Attachments

• 4C11A672-CB1B-4C1F-9090-2FE3C3D3A617.jpeg
    4C11A672-CB1B-4C1F-9090-2FE3C3D3A617.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 58280F0E-4E50-42FD-ADF8-5F6A5E331030.jpeg
    58280F0E-4E50-42FD-ADF8-5F6A5E331030.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 46
Gypsy13

And I have a test kit. Just the eyes available couldn’t find it. Just bought it when I bought the seachem ammonia test kit. Also have the API master kit.

Gypsy13
Hubby says strips expire in 2019. I don’t trust those things.
The male Moscow is dying. Have him in QT. I’m so frustrated I can’t see!

Gypsy13
Male Moscow dead.

Buganjimo
I’m sorry, moscows are pretty and it really sucks to lose a fish. Maybe take the remaining one back to the store?

TexasDomer
So you have liquid GH and KH tests? Can your neighbor test again using those?

I'm sorry you lost him The sudden change from harder water to soft and acidic water likely is the culprit (could be combined with stress since the LFS just got them too).

Gypsy13
I’m sorry, moscows are pretty and it really sucks to lose a fish. Maybe take the remaining one back to the store?

She seems to be doing ok. Thought was finrot from what they said about the female’s fins and tail. They said some of the others had some tail issues. After the male died, I asked the neighbor to describe every little detail from colors to shapes. The gills are apparently red and swollen! I’m thinking two things here. My hubby and his friend have sent my tank into a new cycle (please let it be mini) and they can’t follow directions on using the test kits! They assured me ammonia was zero! Obviously not!

Gypsy13
So you have liquid GH and KH tests? Can you test again using those?

The eyes I have on hand can’t find them. The male Moscow has super red inflamed gills according to the neighbor. My helpers are destroying my tank!

Gypsy13
I did a 30% water change using prime. All I could manage. I’ve been wanting to get the unused undergravel filter and crappy gravel out to switch to sand. I can’t do it until Wednesday cause they won’t let me use my brace until then. What can I have these “helpers” do in the meantime?

Gypsy13
I’m totally new to Seachem products. Just started using prime. They have a whole lots of stuff. What do I need to keep on hand and what do I need to use regularly? I really am trying to stay calm. But I can feel a total freak out coming on. I love my bbs!

TexasDomer
Prime is really all you need. Specific meds are useful when needed, but it's not a good idea to throw things into the tank.

Can they do another water change tomorrow?

Realized I never replied to this, sorry:
I love my guppies, minnows, danio and now the corys. Not what I would’ve chosen but it’s what I have. The giant danio will go to the LFS.
Look at this chip in my 40L. Tell me what you think please.

I don't really have much experience with chipped tanks, but that does look a bit alarming to me.

I would return the giant danio as well, but you could do something like this for your 29 gal:
8x WCMM
8x Zebra danios
8x Cories
5-6x Male guppies

Gypsy13
Thank you! And I’m not at all sure about it. Lots of folks say the glass is fine. I’m probably going to wait on the 75.
I can do another water change whenever I need to. I’m used to pain so just tell me when and how much and did they do something to send my tank into cycle mode again. I was running an undergravel and sponge with a HOB until the sponge was cycled. Helpful hubby disconnected the undergravel. The undergravel is what I was used to back in the day.
Today’s stuff just isn’t made well enough and doesn’t function as well. So I was switching to sponge. Slowly. I thought.

Gypsy13

The male died and the other neighbor says the gills are red and swollen. Also the giant danio (that will be going back) was starting to harass him. I believe my help has sent my tank into another cycle and obviously can’t follow directions on the test kits!

TexasDomer
Hopefully you can get it sorted out! The more frequent the water changes, the better. If you can do daily water changes, great! Otherwise I'd do every other day and dose with Prime the days you don't do changes.

Gypsy13
Hopefully you can get it sorted out! The more frequent the water changes, the better. If you can do daily water changes, great! Otherwise I'd do every other day and dose with Prime the days you don't do changes.

I hadn’t thought of dosing Prime between changes. Bless you. My mind is such a muddle! Knock on wood but thankfully he’s never thought about “helping” with my ponds.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
Kellithebettalover
Replies
Views
Yyot
Replies
Views