Added an extra fluval u2 to my 16gallon tank

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by cmck83, Aug 12, 2015.

1. cmck83Valued MemberMember

I've just been given another fluval u2 filter which I cleaned out and and replaced the filter media with new sponges, and instead of filling this one with ceramic media in the ceramic media compartment I filled it with filter floss. My question is would running them both be overkill or is it ok?

The fluval u2 is roughly pumping 88gph so with them both going it will be around double that.

2. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

You should be fine depending on what inhabitants you have in the tank. Using one for mechanical filtration can do no harm. You have three positions for flow on that filter, so depending on what fish you have in the tank will dictate the flow output. I wouldn't think that it would matter on a 16 gallon tank however.

3. cmck83Valued MemberMember

Tell you what the water seems a lot clearer today, massive difference there's no little particles floating in it now. And the fish seem to like the extra flow

4. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

Its amazing what extra filtration can do. Now if it were a Betta or something like that, the higher flow (water current), could actually harm them...but for many, the extra flow is appreciated.

5. cmck83Valued MemberMember

I've got bleeding heart tetras, guppies, mollies, and a gbr. I've got to say the gbr and the tetras seem to be enjoying the more movement. It'll keep them happy for a few months till my 60 gallon comes. Lol

6. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

They wouldn't know what to do with themselves in that big of a tank! Like they died and went to Nautilus.

7. Paul1976New MemberMember

I run 2 Fluval U2's in my 20 gallon and the water is crystal clear,my fish also like the extra current,2 filters means more surface area for BB to colonise and also if 1 filter packs up in the middle of the night or when I'm away for the weekend-the 2nd filter will act as a fail to safe so all in all I like that kind of set up. :)

8. cmck83Valued MemberMember

Haha that's true mate. I don't plan on adding many more either once I get the big tank. They'll have plenty of room to themselves.

9. cmck83Valued MemberMember

I'm really happy I done it now too, my gbr uses the filter flow as if it's a treadmill. Just swims his heart out in it lol

10. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

Why am I picturing a fish on a treadmill! :;laughing

11. cmck83Valued MemberMember

Haha glad I could give you a giggle. I think I may get them a weight bench next lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice