Added 2 african dwarf frogs to glofish tetra tank and they're both missing.

CynicCE

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I set up a 10gallon tank at work with 6 glofish tetras. The tank has been established for about a month now and the fish are all doing well. Nitrogen cycle is completed 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and of course fluctuating amounts of nitrates as I do water changes. When I first put the ADF's in the tank they were just staying at the surface and hiding behind the filter. I checked nitrates and they were at 20 so I just did a 50% water change and vacuumed the gravel. I then left for the day. I came back the next day and both frogs were sitting at the bottom of the tank. One was more active than the other but both were were moving about. When I checked around break time I only saw 1 frog in the tank. I removed all the plants and decor, opened the filter and housing checked behind the tank on the ground etc...and couldn't find the frog anywhere. I assumed he must have escaped and gone off and died somewhere in the office. I came in this morning and now the 2nd one is missing as well. Did the same checking and no sign of him. These were pretty young frogs but still their bodies looked at least a little bigger than the tetra's mouths. I'm beginning to wonder if the tetras went after the frogs. There's no signs of them leaving the tank (it's covered save for a couple slots for heater/light cords and the filter) and there's no droppings or anything.

My question is: What's the most likely scenario here? Should I assume the fish attacked and ate the frogs or is escape the most likely scenario? They're fun little guys and I was looking forward to them hanging around the tank. Your answers will determine whether I should just place a couple more in the tank and cover the holes or if I need to raise them in a separate tank until they're big enough to integrate without being eaten.

I know with that tank, that's butting up against 95% bioload and that generally you do a separate tank for the frogs but 2 tanks at work isn't an option and I get a lot of kids coming through here so having some variety would be nice. Any thoughts or ideas you can provide would be of great help. Thanks everyone!

Ben

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Ben welcome to FishLore!!

African Dwarf Frogs can squeeze out of the tiniest gaps. They can also get surprisingly far away from the tank if they escape.

That and they can really squish themselves into any holes in decorations.

I've got this fake log in my adf tank with a hole in the bottom.
One of mine got so far up in there that I couldn't see him.
A bit of juggling it under water startled him enough to come out. The opposite could have happened, he might have done further in. Glad he didn't.

I doubt the glowfish would have eaten them unless they perished first.

Imo, the 2 things you're looking at is
1) they escaped
2) they are hidden so far in the filter or decoration that you can't see them.

If you decide to get more, take care they are eating a proper diet meant for frogs, not fish.
Cover any openings even the teeniest. I use plastic craft mesh sheets cut to fit any gap.

I'm a big advocate of ADF's in a species only tank and really 6 glofish in a 10g is a stocked tank.
Glofish are very active and would appreciate a longer swim space than a 10g allows.

If you are able to get a larger tank you could have a wider variety of fish to keep the kids entertained.

The kids that come to your office would learn much more by having a properly stocked tank.

Good luck, I hope they show up.

Last edited:

CynicCE

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the reply Lucy. 10 Gallons is about the biggest I've got room for in the cube farm. I have 2 decorations and the rest are fake plants. I pulled the them all out of the tank and shined a light in the crevices and there's nothing. So that means they likely escaped. I have fish pellet food, flakes, and frog pellets so I've got all my species covered food wise. I'm using a small terra cotta saucer to put the food on. I guess I wasn't expecting them to be able to get out at such a small size...obviously my mistake. I'm going to run to the craft store this evening and pick up some of the mesh and then we'll try again. Am I ok to leave the food opening in the middle of the lid open? I have an auto feeder for the weekend that drops the food through that hole.

With the addition of the frogs the tank will be done. I've got decent filtration and I do my water changes regularly. I understand that it makes it a bit easier to be at about 80% load which is what the 6 fish is. I'm ok doing a little extra work to have a bit more and I don't think I'm crowding the tank with that setup. As far as tank size...when I was researching I took that into consideration and I actually decided to step up to a 10 gal instead of the planned 5 for that reason. I would say the tank in YOUR avatar is heavily overstocked Thanks again for the advice!

Ben

tameone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'd say they escaped. My sister had a 10g with an albino ADF. Caught him escaped twice before really sealing literally every opening no matter how small. They will squeeze through an opening that looks much too small.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The fish and frogs will be fine not eating over the weekend.

You might want to consider feeding the frogs something different than pellets.
It really shouldn't be their stable diet.

Frogbreeder has some great feeding suggestions in this sticky:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/care-sheet-for-african-dwarf-frogs.36417/

I would say the tank in YOUR avatar is heavily overstocked Thanks again for the advice!

Ben
Definitely over stocked and the hair clogs the filter something terrible!

Last edited:

ricmcc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When you say that you haven't room for a larger tank, is there another place where you might keep ADFs?
As Lucy says, they really do best in a dedicated tank, anyway, and as your current tank is well stocked with the 6 tetras, I think you would do well to consider that tank to be complete, as to stocking.
All the best to you, rick

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom