Add Shrimp Or Fish First?

Kirby86

Reaction score
I just finished cycling a small tank and plan on stocking with Neon tetras and Cherry shrimp.
I'm curious if I should add the shrimp or tetras first?
-I've heard the shrimp can be sensitive to environmental changes (argument for adding fish first)
-The shrimp would clean the tank up nice for the fish before introducing (argument for shrimp first)

FishGirl38

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would start with the fish...because I know you said the tank is cycled, but shrimp dont usually do well in newer set ups. Id add the tetra, let those settle in for a bit, then Id add the shrimp once the tank matures a bit more. But Ill also admit, neon tetra can be kinda finicky too.

Some other smaller recommendations (that arent as finicky as neons) are ember tetra, endler 'guppy', celestial pearl danio, scarlet badis (dario dario), daisys ricefish, white cloud mountian minnows, and/or chili rasbora. Im sure there are also a ton Im forgetting.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes fish first. Wait about 2 months to add shrimp. Shrimp eat bio film and algae. That takes time to grow. Also as said neons are not the best choice. Maybe cardnails or one of the other small tetras. Good luck .

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom