Add Prime ...

Matthiasfanu
I am going to be using a Python water changer to do my weekly 50% water changes. My question is when do add the prime? I know to have my filter and heater powered off during the water change but what I don't know is when to add the prime. I will be dosing prime for the entire volume of my tank, not just the water being replaced.

Advertisement
Discusluv
AfterI drain my tank with python, I put prime in tank and then start adding water back in with python.

TiqToq
I add it to the bucket of water I'm going to be filling up the tank with before I add it. You can dose it straight into the tank too, but I always feel more comfortable conditioning the water before I add it.

Edit: Oops, just realized you said you're using a Python. Nevermind.

Matthiasfanu
Unfortunately, I will be adding around 15-20 gallons of water each time as it is a 40 gallon tank. It would take quite awhile for me to do it by buckets.

brook.lyn
I'd say to maybe add half to the water you'll be adding and then add that into the tank and once all the water is in dose the other half of prime? Since it's not dechlorinated water (assuming you're using tap) I always play it safe cause I'm scared I'll harm/kill the bacteria on my sand/decor. Even though most of it is in ur filter I always play it safe.

Discusluv
Unfortunately, I will be adding around 15-20 gallons of water each time as it is a 40 gallon tank. It would take quite awhile for me to do it by buckets.
I have very delicate fish, have been adding Safe/Prime directly to tank during water change for 15+ years, there is no need to mix it in another container prior.

Piaelliott
If you add Prime directly to the tank, it is advised to treat the entire tank. If you prepare buckets, only treat the amount in the buckets, 2 drops per gallon.

kjlife
I have very delicate fish, have been adding Safe/Prime directly to tank during water change for 15+ years, there is no need to mix it in another container prior.
+1 that's how I do it too drain water put prime for whole amount in tank and start filling it

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tscott
Replies
Views
nikm128
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views