Add more Neons, or drop back and punt?

1. Toxic Dover Member Member

Hey guys -

Aside from my 30 gallon that I've probably posted about way too much here in the past couple of months (but you've all been very helpful - thanks! :)), I also did a fish-less cycle and a couple weeks ago added some Neon Tetras to my 5 year old daughter's 10 gallon that sits on her dresser. She loves them, and I have had them in the past (before knowing about the nitrogen cycle and all that jazz) with little issues, so I sprang for them. Well, as of today, there is one poor little guy left. Little did I know that they really don't take very well to unestablished tanks. So now I really don't know what to do. There's one little guy left in her tank and he looks bummed out and lonely. Should I add more Neons to keep him company and hope that they fair better than the original ones? I know they like to be in groups, but I don't necessarily want to kill another 5 or 6 of them off. Also, if I do get more and they make it out okay, what could go in with them? I was thinking of maybe a snail and some ghost shrimp or something for a clean up crew... So I guess this is really a question of stocking, as well. Any help is, as always, appreciated. Thanks!

2. Daac Well Known Member Member

Have you been testing the water and how long has the tank been set up? Also how long were the fish in the tank before they died? If we can find out why they died we might be able to better say if you should get more or wait. A clean up crew wouldn't be a bad idea... snails are great for algae and the shrimp could eat left over food. For a total I wouldn't put more than around 6 or 7 neons in the 10 gallon and I would not get any fewer than 5 or 6. So really you are pretty limited but you could still have the cleanup crew with that many neons.

3. Toxic Dover Member Member

I have kept an eye on the water conditions. Ammonia and nitrites are both staying at 0, with nitrates being somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30 (using API Master Freshwater). I actually asked about these guys dying in another post of mine, and the general consensus was that Neons are terribly sensitive to fresh tanks and don't do very well unless the tank is very established. The tank itself cycled for roughly 30-35 days using ammonia before a large water change and the addition of the Neons. So, it's definitely not an "established" tank per say, but it is cycled properly. None of them showed any signs of disease or anything like that... The little guy that's left in there is just hanging out inside one of the decorations and not doing much. He doesn't look sick or anything, but I'm assuming his behavior is because he's alone in the tank. The fish that passed lasted between 2 and 5 days.

4. Daac Well Known Member Member

Ok... then yes that leads me to agree with the thread you mentioned... one other thing though... how did you acclimate them? It can be very helpful to drip acclimate new fish if they rae sensitive like neons but like everyone said they are very sensitive.

5. Toxic Dover Member Member

I acclimated them by floating their bag, then adding a cup of water a couple times over period of 20 minutes or so... From what I'm reading, though, that may have been too little and too fast. You think it could have thrown them into shock?

6. fbn Well Known Member Member

The PH difference between the pet store and your water may be vastly different.

You may want to buy a drip acclimation "kit". They are around $3. http://www.thatpetplace.com/pure-aquatic-acclimation-kit When you use one of these, though, you must also monitor the temperature. Since the "kit" drips slowly, the temperature can start to drop in the container with the fish.

7. Toxic Dover Member Member

So, let me ask this one... Should I go ahead and assemble the cleanup crew in the tank, and leave the lone neon to himself for a bit before adding more? Or, should I get him some company so he'll have a better chance of doing well, but just make sure I either drip acclimate the newcomers or do the adding water to the bag method in smaller increments over a longer period of time? I'd like to get the shrimp and a snail or two in there to rid myself of the huge buildup of algae that the cycle brought on, but I also don't wanna leave the little guy hanging by himself longer than needed. Thoughts?

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xigkyc

8. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Just keep in mind that ghost shrimp have been known to eat small fish. Basically, if they can catch it, they'll eat it. They're extremely opportunistic.

9. Daac Well Known Member Member

You don't have to buy an acclimation kit... just use air tubing and a c-clamp or something to pinch the tube so it drips a few times a second and leave it until the water level doubles or triples.

10. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

personally I would get some from petco as they have a 30 day garuntee on them and go from there, if some pass on all you need to do is bring the fish in a bag, and some water in a cup or a bag that they can test and as long as your water isnt crazy high in anything they will refund you the cost.

Neons are a bit tempermental to new tanks, but I would try to get him some friends for the tank.