Help Add more ammonia?

jaderenee1021

Reaction score
So I've been doing my cycle for a while now and I have nitrates now, do I continue to add ammonia to feed the nitrites or do I stop adding ammonia until all nitrites are gone? I also know that I'm eventually going to need to do a water change to lower my nitrate levels. I just added more ammonia, but next time when it goes away again do I need to add more?

Attachments

jaderenee1021

Reaction score
How much are you adding and how long until it goes to zero?
The last time I added some was last Friday and I added it until it was at 4ppm, I just checked it today, and it was either almost to zero or at zero so I added more, I just checked nitrates for the first time today, and nitrites have been the same for the last few days

Add fish food or a fish now yes

Yes yhe ammonia needs to continue it always does. Fish good and fish produce ammonia the cycle never ends
So I can add my fish today? I thought nitrite levels needed to drop before I add my fish

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How long has it been cycling? If it goes to zero in a few hours then id say probably can add them safely using prime

jaderenee1021

Reaction score
How long has it been cycling? If it goes to zero in a few hours then id say probably can add them safely using prime
Uhh I haven't been keeping exact track but probably at least a week, maybe coming upon two
alright, I'll test ammonia again within a few hours, so my nitrites would be fine where they are now?

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No, you want zero nitrites. You can have nitrates but not nitrites.

Some people say you can let nitrites get down to zero on their own. Others say you can help with some water changes.

When I was about where you are, I started doing water changes until I got my nitrites down to about 2 ppm. Then I let the nitrite eating bacteria get it from there to zero.

Then I did water changes until I got my nitrates down to 5 ppm. When I added fish I was zero ammonia, zero nitrites and 5 ppm nitrates.

The goal is to always have zero ammonia and zero nitrites and keep nitrates low. Some say nitrates below 40 ppm, some say below 20 ppm, some say the lower the better. I plan to try to keep nitrates below 20.

Rcslade124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DONT add fish as sorg said nitrites need to be zero. With fishless cycle your nitrites are super high processing a large amount of ammonia. You need ammonia and nitrites below 1ppm combined with fish. I also did water changes to keep nitrites below 4ppm. You add more ammonia when the ammonia hits zero.

jaderenee1021

Reaction score
No, you want zero nitrites. You can have nitrates but not nitrites.

Some people say you can let nitrites get down to zero on their own. Others say you can help with some water changes.

When I was about where you are, I started doing water changes until I got my nitrites down to about 2 ppm. Then I let the nitrite eating bacteria get it from there to zero.

Then I did water changes until I got my nitrates down to 5 ppm. When I added fish I was zero ammonia, zero nitrites and 5 ppm nitrates.

The goal is to always have zero ammonia and zero nitrites and keep nitrates low. Some say nitrates below 40 ppm, some say below 20 ppm, some say the lower the better. I plan to try to keep nitrates below 20.
DONT add fish as sorg said nitrites need to be zero. With fishless cycle your nitrites are super high processing a large amount of ammonia. You need ammonia and nitrites below 1ppm combined with fish. I also did water changes to keep nitrites below 4ppm. You add more ammonia when the ammonia hits zero.
Alright, thank you that's what I thought :)

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The last time I added some was last Friday and I added it until it was at 4ppm, I just checked it today, and it was either almost to zero or at zero so I added more, I just checked nitrates for the first time today, and nitrites have been the same for the last few days

So I can add my fish today? I thought nitrite levels needed to drop before I add my fish
No, don't add fish. Your cycle is well on it's way. You look like you're about halfway there. It looks like your nitrates are about 80? And your nitrites are high as well. I suggest a 50% water change then retest. Your nitrates should drop to somewhere between 20 and 40, your ammonia should go to 2ppm and nitrites to .5-1.0. Then wait until ammonia drops to .25 or so. Now that you are producing nitrites like crazy, you can cut your ammonia dosing to 2ppm. No tank needs to cycle at 4ppm unless you plan on overstocking the tank with full grown pirahanas lol!

jaderenee1021

Reaction score
No, don't add fish. Your cycle is well on it's way. You look like you're about halfway there. It looks like your nitrates are about 80? And your nitrites are high as well. I suggest a 50% water change then retest. Your nitrates should drop to somewhere between 20 and 40, your ammonia should go to 2ppm and nitrites to .5-1.0. Then wait until ammonia drops to .25 or so. Now that you are producing nitrites like crazy, you can cut your ammonia dosing to 2ppm. No tank needs to cycle at 4ppm unless you plan on overstocking the tank with full grown pirahanas lol!
Awesome! Thank you so much!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom