Add Kuhlis Or Corys?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by bitseriously, Apr 13, 2018.

?

Should I add...

1. Sterbais

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Kuhlis

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

I am restocking (ok, planning ahead of restocking) my 33gal community.
    Tank has 36" x 12" footprint, with PFS substrate. Well planted, with some driftwood. Well filtered with Tidal 55 and AC70 hobs.
    Current stocking is:
    - 9 rummy nose,
    - 2 young but sexually mature 2 GBR (M/F),
    - 3 otos,
    - cherry/amano/ghost shrimps. ​
    I'm having heater issues right now, can't reliably get over 78.5-79.5F, but I'm targeting 80.
    I want to add 1 school of sand-sniffers, and am waffling between kuhlis and corys. Which should I choose? :) If corys I think I'm limited to sterbai or bronze due to temp for rams, right?
    - Kuhlis might only be seen rarely during the day, will be cheaper to buy (maybe half the price, typically), and might contribute to control of mini ramshorns (not a problem yet, but I'm a perfectionist ;)).
    - Corys would be more $ initially, but would be more out and about during the day.
    I clean and change water weekly (30%) so while I would hope for a tidiness assist from either type, I'm not relying on them. That said, is one more efficient than the other at helping me to keep a clean substrate? How about ease of feeding (ie not dependent on live foods, though I'm happy to add bloodworms and brines now and then)?
    Thanks folks!!

2. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Don't matter what you choose as long as it are CORIES !

3. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I love my cories because you can see them more and play around.

Kuhlis are nocturnal and only come out at night so you can't really see them.

4. Nataku

Nataku Well Known Member Member

My kuhlis are out during the day as much as corydoras are. The first two weeks sure, you won't see them much because they will hide. But after they get used to their new tank and get the layout down they will be out wiggling around during the day. And so long as there are no fish that want to take shots at them they will laze around out in plain view - so long as they know there is a plant or driftwood or rock they can dart under that's not too far off. So if the rams are quarrelsome, your kuhlis may hide. Corydoras tend to just shuffle over a few inches and continue on with whatever they were doing.

While I like kuhlis personally, I'd say in this tank it comes down to which you want more. Wereyou going for a biotope set up? If so then corydoras are the choice.
    Also, as far as species go for temp compatibility, in addition to the two you listed, c. brochis and c. adolfoi are also warmer water corydoras if you can find those species locally.

5. CloudTheFluffy

CloudTheFluffy Valued Member Member

I love both so it's hard to choose! after around three weeks my kuhlis were out and about. They aren't as active as cory cats but when there's food near them they make up for there laziness.

6. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

I'd go with Bronze Corys over Kuhlis.

7. OP
    OP
    bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

Argh! You guys are supposed to make this easier, not harder!!!
    :D

8. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

In the end it's what you prefer & what makes you happy, just go for it :)

9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

The saying tells : No glory without a Cory !

Soooooooo

10. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

We have both - kuhlis in one tank, sterbai Cory in the other.

I prefer the kuhlis simply because they're like sea snakes & truly awesome at digging in sand & creating tunnels in gravel under decorations. & their happy dance during water changes & early morning are delightful.

having said that, our sterbai are adorable & more active during the day. they mow the sand & wriggle ... and glass surf.

Google videos of schools of both maybe? both like having at least 6 per school & the more you can support with your tank size & filtration, the more active they are

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice