Add females to my tank??

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by Hamham, Jul 23, 2015.

1. HamhamNew MemberMember

2. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Your mollies will likely get too big for a 20g, i would rehome them if you can. I probably wouldn't add any females with your current stock, you'd just get overrun with babies. I'd say without the mollies you're pretty well stocked imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. KingDFishlore VIPMember

Agreed with the above post. Your mollies will outgrow your tank pretty quickly. Adding females to the tank will only lead to an even bigger biolad in the tank and a quick overpopulation of fry, possibly cross breeds of guppies and mollies. If you rehome the mollies, your tank will be at a good stock count.

4. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

No, I wouldn't add any females, as you are overstocked technically speaking with the mollies. Instead, I'd probably try to rehome the mollies and get at least one more tiger barb.

Best of luck! :)

5. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Speaking from experience, I currently have about 50 fry in a 10g tank and they are mostly from my mollies. I thought I had all females but upon closer inspection found two males that I gave away since then. Luckily my locally owned petstore will take them once they're big enough.

6. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

The most common molly is the black form of P. sphenops, which does not get too big for a 20 gallon tank. Sailfin species/hybrids will get much larger, and would be severely crowded. So the first question should have been, what kind of Mollies do you have?

The problem of livebearers having a lot of fry is another matter, and is a future concern. If one has all males it is not a problem, but as soon as you put a female livebearer in the tank, you will start getting babies in relatively short order.

I would be more concerned with the Tiger Barbs, as they need a lot more swimming room than any of the livebearers. If I placed 6 Tiger Barbs in a 20 gallon tank, that is the only fish I would have in there. And it would be a long 20, not a high 20.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice