Add and Wait Fishless Cycle 10 Gallon Tank 

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,

I am in the process of cycling my tank using the method above. It has been 3 days since I added the Ace Hardware ammonia. I am waiting for the ammonia to drop and then will test for nitrites and nitrates. I was just wondering what the average time it took for a 10 gallon tank to go through a fishless cycle. I keep the temp of the water at about 78 to 80 degrees F.

Also if I am interested in buying ornaments, do I wait to add them to the tank after it cycles or right now? Thanks!

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't know how long it would take, hopefully someone else can answer that for you. But if you add decorations now it should provide more surface area for the beneficial bacteria to grow on. So yes, go ahead and add them.

And welcome! I'm fairly new myself.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!

Use 100% pure ammonia.
Using a dropper, add 5 drops of ammonia per 10 gallons of aquarium water. If you don't get an ammonia reading with your test kit, add some more drops until you start to see an ammonia reading. Keep track of how many drops you've used so you can repeat this process daily. Continue to dose the tank with ammonia until you start to get nitrite readings with your test kit. Once you can detect nitrites you should only add 3 drops of ammonia per 10 gallons of aquarium water, or if you added more drops originally to get an ammonia reading cut the amount of drops used in half. Continue this process daily until you get nitrate readings with your test kit. Do a 30% water change and your tank is ready.
From the fishlore Nitrogen Cycle page.

You need to keep up the dosing of ammonia throughout the process (as described), and if it's going to be a while before you add fish, you will need to keep up the dosing of ammonia to feed the colony.

Hope that makes sense.

Congrats on fish-less cycling.

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have not seen any drops in ammonia over the last 3 days. I am using the API ammonia liquid test and it is a little darker than the 4.0. Is this a problem?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say yes, this is normal. The cycling process can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months.

What type of filter is it?

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!

I would plan on the ammonia phase of the cycle taking about 3 or 4 weeks, then about another 3 or 4 weeks for the nitrite phase. It could go a bit faster, but probably not much. Hang in there!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads