Add additional decorations?

NewAtFishKeeping

Reaction score
Next week I will be adding 6 panda corys to my new 29 gallon freshwater tank.

Attached is what my tank looks like right now.

Do you suggest adding anything else for them? I don't have a lot of space considering how I laid out the rocks but I could possibly shift something.

Attachments

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, less rocks, more driftwood and a whole lot more plants. The tank as it is is brightly lit and has no cover for the fish. Best get some cheap and fast growing plants like Elodea or Hornwort that grow up to the surface and pack the back as much as you can with them. Floaters would also be of help. Also build small caves for the cories. Just as a covered shaded spot, it's enough when it's open to two sides, but it's important there is something above them, that shields them from potential (imaginary) predators. They will appreciate this very much.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Along with what MacZ has suggested I would cover the back of the tank. Not only would it hide the HOB filter but it will also make your new fish feel safer. With everything being so wide open I am afraid your new water pets will be stressed and stress quite often leads to illness.

OP
N

NewAtFishKeeping

Reaction score
MacZ said:
Yeah, less rocks, more driftwood and a whole lot more plants. The tank as it is is brightly lit and has no cover for the fish. Best get some cheap and fast growing plants like Elodea or Hornwort that grow up to the surface and pack the back as much as you can with them. Floaters would also be of help. Also build small caves for the cories. Just as a covered shaded spot, it's enough when it's open to two sides, but it's important there is something above them, that shields them from potential (imaginary) predators. They will appreciate this very much.
Thanks! So, can I get any basic terra cotta pots from Home Depot? Or do I have to get ones that specifically say fish safe?

I ordered my plants from Aquarium Coop. I went on their website and can't find Elodea or Hornwort. Are the plants sometimes called something else? Any other suggestions for fast growing plants?

mattgirl said:
Along with what MacZ has suggested I would cover the back of the tank. Not only would it hide the HOB filter but it will also make your new fish feel safer. With everything being so wide open I am afraid your new water pets will be stressed and stress quite often leads to illness.
Thanks for your reply!
I will order more plants. Do I need to wait until the plants grow taller to order and add my fish?

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NewAtFishKeeping said:
Thanks! So, can I get any basic terra cotta pots from Home Depot? Or do I have to get ones that specifically say fish safe?

I ordered my plants from Aquarium Coop. I went on their website and can't find Elodea or Hornwort. Are the plants sometimes called something else? Any other suggestions for fast growing plants?
The pots would suffice, I am not a friend of using pots except for quarantine, breeding or growout tanks.
Elodea is still known as Anacharis in the US as far as I know, Hornwort you can often find in garden centers of big box hardware stores among the pond plants. Right now would also be the right time of year for that stuff, too. Both are cheap and fill your tank with a great wall of green soon. :)

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
NewAtFishKeeping said:
Thanks for your reply!
I will order more plants. Do I need to wait until the plants grow taller to order and add my fish?
If you wait for these plants to grow tall and fill in the tank I fear you will be waiting a long time. Putting something on the back of the tank to block that side will help. Your Tetras should be fine as the plants grow but I fear your corys will be stressed out if they don't have hiding places. Once the plants grow and fill out they will go under them but in the meantime they need some kind of caves. Terra cotta pots should work. Any new unglazed terra cotta pots should work just fine. They don't have to be listed as specifically for an aquarium.

OP
N

NewAtFishKeeping

Reaction score
Flyfisha said:
Hey NewAtFishKeeping. Have you added any ammonia to the tank? It looks very new.
Yes, my tank has completely cycled.

MacZ said:
The pots would suffice, I am not a friend of using pots except for quarantine, breeding or growout tanks.
Elodea is still known as Anacharis in the US as far as I know, Hornwort you can often find in garden centers of big box hardware stores among the pond plants. Right now would also be the right time of year for that stuff, too. Both are cheap and fill your tank with a great wall of green soon. :)
Thanks!

mattgirl said:
If you wait for these plants to grow tall and fill in the tank I fear you will be waiting a long time. Putting something on the back of the tank to block that side will help. Your Tetras should be fine as the plants grow but I fear your corys will be stressed out if they don't have hiding places. Once the plants grow and fill out they will go under them but in the meantime they need some kind of caves. Terra cotta pots should work. Any new unglazed terra cotta pots should work just fine. They don't have to be listed as specifically for an aquarium.
Thank you!

New Threads