Ada Aquasoil Disaster

Kmullz

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I did a dry start with carpeted plants. Once I flooded (very slowly) the cloudiness even with rooted plants persisted so long I decided to rip out the plants and wash the Aquasoil as a last resort. Now I am flooding again and the water is so dark I can't see through it. Even 20% water changes cause worse cloudiness. **** how does anyone use Aquasoil, what's wrong with this stuff??! 3.5 gallon nano, HOB filter with carbon and sponge, I've even fitted the water change hose with a sponge and held close the intake end to slow the filling speed to a trickle. Still no luck!

blewishblue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How long did you wait for it to clear up? IMO a few 75% water changes and several sponge cleanings would have been in order before giving up. (Not that you didn't, just saying. That stuff is messy). FYI: replacing brand new dirty water with brand new clean water is not a big deal. Also, a sheet of plastic between the soil and the hose helps and I'm assuming you trickled the water into a bowl? I'm sorry you're feeling so frustrated! I feel your pain!

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think it says on the bag that it clears up in a few days. I wouldn’t do anymore water changes, you’re removing all the nutrients that are in the water column that plants can use. And a small bag of amazonia is expensive.

adagona

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is your filter output agitating the soil? Also, to prevent mess, will need to fill the tank up with something over the soil to prevent it from agitating too. And do a few big water change (90%) over a week with the same method. Filter should also help to trap the floating particles. Washing the aquasoil will be wasting the nutrients. My tank took a week to clear up.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine has always cleared up within 24hrs. How long are you giving it to clear up.

PickledPeppers

Reaction score
Rinsing it was a big mistake. You broke up the pebbles and turned them into mud. Amazonia is a waiting game. You can reduce cloudiness by filling with the empty bag covering the soil but it just needs a few days to clear out.

Kmullz

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cloudiness didn't clear in 4 days. Washed it and it's the same as when I didn't wash it. The filter is small and not agitating the soil. I also tried leaving it with no filter. I'm going to layer black sand on top of the plastic layer on fill doesn't work. Maybe the issue is that it's a nano tank meaning high Aquasoil surface to water volume. Waste of money but at least it's only 1 bag of soil and not multiple.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rinsing it defeats the purpose of buying this expensive brand. When I used it, I’d say it took a little over a week to clear. You just need patience.

Kmullz

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Filling with plastic wrap covering the bottom and the carbon in filter helps. The cloudiness is still there a bit but looks like a week or so will fix it and let plants root more. My original cloudiness was more like soup so now I can see through the tank and things are much better.

Edit: 3 hours later and it's nearing "can't see through the tank" level. This Aquasoil type is the powder form (smallest pellets) and the filter is really not strong.

Kmullz

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rinsing it was a big mistake. You broke up the pebbles and turned them into mud. Amazonia is a waiting game. You can reduce cloudiness by filling with the empty bag covering the soil but it just needs a few days to clear out.
It is still very much in pebble form and not a mud. This is the Amazonia II Powder form, I should have mentioned that. Is it possible some batches are just bad? My friends who use Aquasoil were shocked at how the water looked from filling my not rinsed, DSM tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom